Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

World's Greatest Crashes
Quote | Reply
Just got my new World Cycling Productions catalogue and noticed Phil Ligett compiled a DVD with the World's "Greatest" Crashes. I know we all have may a morbid fascination watching a crash during a UCI race, but I also know that as athletes, we're a superstitious lot. So my question is this: Would purchasing this DVD put one in a state of karmic peril and thus increase one's likelihood of sustaining a crash?

Happy Monday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prolly. You do what you see. Just the same, I agree with you. It is morbidly fascinating to watch Abdoujaparov careen into the barriers at 40 m.p.h. and then bowl a strike on the entire field. At least I can watch knowing I've fallen off my bike a few times too, so I've kind of earned the right I guess, as well as all of us who have hit the pavement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
all of us who have hit the pavement.
If only I had a dollar for every time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shut up. Shut Up! La la la la- I can't hear you. :-( Must think good thoughts. Must think good thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst Crashes - That Abdoujaparov crash during the final rush to the line on The Champs Elysee at the 19XX Tour De France has to be right up there as one of the most best/worst/most-spectacular, no question! Very Scary. I only saw it once, but I don't think that I would want to ever see it or crashes like it again.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WCP features the Abdoujaparov crash as a main reason to buy the DVD:

"... including the unforgettable crash of Abdoujaparov's on the finish line of the Tour de France where he looks like a rag doll sliding across the pavement"

The copy continues ...

"... in glorious full speed and super slow motion for continued viewing"

:::fingers in ears::: La-la-la-la think positive thoughts :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'Would purchasing this DVD put one in a state of karmic peril and thus increase one's likelihood of sustaining a crash?'

Yes. You can counteract the bad luck by juggling 3 squirels, facing north, while your but naked and doing the hustle. Then give your money to a church and light candles. Avoid black cats and braking mirrors. Open umberlas only outside and throw spilled salt over your left shoulder.

Luck is my favorite thing. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Erik, given my track record back in '89 and '90 I probably took you out at least once. I can remember one streak where I crashed in seven races in a row, all on the last lap, all in the final corner looking for that one big move to get me into a winning position. I haven't done a criterium in years. None of mine could ever hold a candle to Abdu hitting the big Coke can barrier and doing a yard sale into the entire field sprint at the Tour.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Erik, given my track record back in '89 and '90 I probably took you out at least once.
Very possible. :) Although most of the crashes I remember being personally involved in were races you were announcing. Hmmm. I do remember a road race in Ann Arbor that I think only existed for a year or two. It went down Huron River Drive for part of it... I think you and I were both in that race. For some strange reason, I seem to remember you crashing. Ah, the good old days. :)
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [2WheelsGood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a safe bet. I either went down or did pretty good. Probably good I went back to triathlons.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's the fun thing with crits...you always wonder how someone can be so close so that his left pedal is just below your right one!

if you want, buy the DVD, but to get rid of the bad luck, after each crash, watch the near crash of Erik Zabel in the Tour 2002 (or maybe 2001) where he unclipped in the final sprint, fell on the top tube but somehow managed not to crash...was awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: World's Greatest Crashes [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any race that Dave McCook was in and he didn't win you'd bet he hit the deck. Like Tom he had the crash or win mentallity for a number of years. As silly as that sounds, I'd always find his wheel with 3 or 4 to go knowing that he could get me to the front (or the deck) as the case was in '97 at the Rock Island Crit. Nate Reiss of the USPS was going into turn 7 or a 8 turn crit and Dave just divebombed his front wheel taking Nate, me, and the next 40 riders or so into those terrible orange snow fences. It was a big mess, and actually quite funny about 90 minutes later. There is a WCP coverage of a crash from a derny race at the '96 or '95 worlds that is pretty spectacular. The motorpaced rider actually took out his own motor at about 80kph. Totally trashed the wood velodrome, the rider suffered the worst burns you could imagine with his skinsuit melted right into his flesh.

Yum.

I agree tho, Abdu is up there, Jalabert had a field sprint crash that ended his green jersey days also.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply