Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement?
Quote | Reply
Havent been here in a looonnngg while. Had a crazy year 2014 with hubby losing a leg to diabetes and raising apuppy at the same time. He was in and out of the hospital 8 weeks but is now doing exceedingly well. Did a 5K last weekend(walked) but was so proud. My little puppy is now 16 months old and can at least follow 1 command:). I can now breathe a little and get back to taking care of me too. A year later, I have gained 20 pounds, and my bad hip has deteriorated to the point I have to get a new one. I haven't trained much at all last year and really at this time, am having tons of pain jogging. So that may be over. I can ride but my hip range of motion sucks so that hurts as well.
Anyway, I am doing what I can as I wait for surgery probably in 8 weeks. Getting a second opinion in a couple weeks for resurfacing but am doubtful about that.
My question is-who is out there that is still doing tris after hip replacement? I am doing the anterior approach so hopefully that will spare much needed muscle. I have done 2 irondistance races-2009 and 2012 so I am no starnger to hard work. I know I cant run, but riding a road bike with aerobars???
FYI, I am post menopausal and 56 yo. Would love to at least do oly's and walk fast.
What do you girls think?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Don't know if you saw this thread and i think there is one other.
Here you go ...

I had both hips replaced with the BHR, with the last one at thanksgiving. I'm able to swim and bike now, but running is still a few months off.

good luck on the surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds very encouraging! Thanks for the thread-I did see it. I understand females are not doing as well with HR as males. Two opinions so far say THR, anterior. Many pardons, but are you female?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope not female, but was talking with someone that is going to have a hip replaced soon and was sending him the link to that thread. When I searched for it, I saw yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had the anterior mini hip replacement in 2012. mini means the socket thing they put in is smaller. the part that goes down into the femur is shorter. my doctor explained it might take a little longer to recover, but it will allow me to be active and if i have to have it redone when i am in my 80's. i was on crutches for about 3 weeks. i rode my bike and swam right up to the operation so i would be in good shape. and now, i can ride my bike in aero position. i told the doctor that was one of my goals, to be able to ride in that position. And i can run the hip replacement. i only run 2 or 3 times a week. so far about 6 miles at the most. i have plans for ironman distance. My doctor said go for it. When i saw him in Dec. and asked if i could sky dive, he did say no to that. and i listened and did not jump. i am 58 years old now and i do try and i am successful with keeping weight off. and still do lots of exercises specially for the fake hip...it is the best thing i have done. i looked into the resurfacing but decided to go for the real deal. My doctor is in Houston and designed a special table, so the incision is in the front. So no muscles were cut. most anterior operations happen on the side? i have no restrictions other than the warrior pose in yoga? i don't care for yoga anyway. good luck. There does seem a lot of different opinions about the "run/ no run" for hip replacement people...i just decided to go with what seems to work for me...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do you have a ceramic hip or metal on poly? I am going for my second opinion Thursday and I sure hope he has a cancellation fast. Can I ask your age?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Deb,

Two hip resurfacings, most recent last May, just about to begin running again with no restrictions after a whole year of waiting. Of course I had to go break my ankle in January, so there's that, too. Sigh.

I have the Clermont sprint series in sight for the summer. I'm 63 now (good God almighty). Thinking about you and wishing you well. I think they advise no more running with THR. Have you considered BHR? We've got a great surgeon here in Cleveland, named Brooks. His work is perfect. Have you checked out the BHR forum surfacehippy.net? (I think that's the name).

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kate!
Yes, I have checked that site out for almost a year as I knew this was coming a while back. I have had 3 opinions and all agree to THR anterior approach. Seems most NC ortho docs poo-poo women with resurfacing and the key is for me a fast return to work as I am the sole breadwinner.
So glad you are doing well-getting older sucks for sure. Hopefully we have built a base of good habits with training that will carry us forward.
This last year has been tough-my hubby lost a leg(actually he knows where it is-just not where it used to be) and a new puppy last year has grinding all my training to a complete hault. A 20- pound weight gain from eating hospital food x 8 weeks did not help my hip so I have resigned myself to fast walking, cycling shorter distances and swimming. Not too bad.
Keep me posted on your progress-my surgery isn't till the end of May-4 weeks out of work. Kinda looking forward to it in a warped way. Sick of limping around like an old lady!!
Deb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had a hip replacement 2 yrs ago at 58. She has restricted herself from not running based on her Drs recommendation. She did a few sprint tris before surgery and has continued to do them afterwards. At this time she usually will do an AquaBike Oly & Sprint but now and then she'll do a sprint tri and do a walk/run afterward. She has done numerous half marathons walking very fast. She really hasn't slowed down at all. She rides a road bike and has no problems with riding at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone do tris of any distance after a hip replacement? [Caymanskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fabulous! So glad to hear that. I would love to get to Olympic distances and half marathons next season. Did your wife have an anterior approach and how long was it before she could walk 3 miles or so?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply