Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pedals in carry-on [Machee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. I always travel with my pedals, shoes and helmet in my carry-on. I fly with my gear probably 6-10 times a year and I've only been asked once about my pedals. Right when they opened my bag and saw all the other cycling stuff they knew what they were for.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be traveling internationally for the first time for a race. I have looked at many forums, TSA website, etc to check on the items I can/cannot bring. Seems that pedals, helmet, road shoes are all good. My biggest problem is my clip on aero bars and whether they will make it through TSA. I do not have a checked bag b/c I am renting a bike and only bring one carry on. It is an extremely hilly course (ITU Duathlon WC) so they may not be needed and I will be traveling 2 weeks after that using several different kinds of cheaper airlines. Anyone have advice or recommendations? Is it worth risking it for only 40km on a hilly course to then have them taken?
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pkeys00 wrote:
I will be traveling internationally for the first time for a race. I have looked at many forums, TSA website, etc to check on the items I can/cannot bring. Seems that pedals, helmet, road shoes are all good. My biggest problem is my clip on aero bars and whether they will make it through TSA. I do not have a checked bag b/c I am renting a bike and only bring one carry on. It is an extremely hilly course (ITU Duathlon WC) so they may not be needed and I will be traveling 2 weeks after that using several different kinds of cheaper airlines. Anyone have advice or recommendations? Is it worth risking it for only 40km on a hilly course to then have them taken?

you'll be fine with the clip ons. I have traveled with them in the past
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's interesting as every few months some TSA muppet snags my massage stick thinking I "could" use it as a club.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [pkeys00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pedals are fine, aerobars are usually fine unless you get someone who is overly strict at security... I assume you're getting the shop you're renting from to mount/unmount the aerobars? (my first question is whether they would even allow you to use your own clip-ons, in case they scratch the drops?) I ask this, because I have lost multiple multi-tools from my carry-ons over the years because of security staff sure that I was either going to try to disassemble the plane, or bore someone's eye out with a hex wrench (generally because I forgot that they were in my carry-on to begin with, rather than in the bike bag)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Metal items are limited to 7â€. They tried to confiscate my 7-1/4†torque wrench. Had to check my carry on (Alaska Airlines checked it for free after hearing the issue).

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals in carry-on [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
Metal items are limited to 7â€. They tried to confiscate my 7-1/4†torque wrench. Had to check my carry on (Alaska Airlines checked it for free after hearing the issue).
Same... coming into the US from Mexico @ Houston connecting to flight home. You have to recheck your bags and go through security with your carryons in some back hall. They tossed my torque wrench in the bin as there were no options as my checked bag was already gone.

Travelling is interesting and you never know what you're going to get in each country you fly in/out of. Outside of the US, London was one of the most invasive as the agent completely unpacked my "race bag" and I then had to repack it. That said, I've never had my pedals questioned and I always carry them in my carryon.

One of the most bizarre things I've noted is that I can fly with a full size bicycle pump no questions asked... but something like a torque wrench is a no go. I don't dare put my Silca torque wrench kit in my carry on even though theoretically it is under 7"... hate to flush that down the drain so to speak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly with my PowerTap pedals, shoes, and a hex wrench all the time. Never had an issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next