Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k
Quote | Reply
What do you guys thinks about the new Cervelo Bikes listed above?
Has Cervelo raised the standard again for entry level. Cervelo Dual vs Felt 25/22
How long does it take to get a new 2004? How much does the Dual Weigh? P2K, Weigh? I love the new colors and the Dual in Ultegra for still a decent price. How do they do it?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] How long does it take to get a new 2004? [/reply]

I was told two weeks ago that if I orderd a Cervelo now (then), I could expect delivery some time in Dec.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt's S25 has Ultegra derailleurs/carbon cranks @ $1700
The S22 has Dura Ace derailleurs and a CarbonX aerobar for $2100

The S32 this year has D-ace bar end, 105 rear der, FSA gossamer cranks /w machined rings for $1200

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Last edited by: SuperDave: Jan 15, 06 15:30
Quote Reply
Cervelo vs Felt (round one) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Well that ends round one, with Superdave coming out just ahead!

Round Two shall commence shortly with Gerards opening remarks.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to enjoy this one from the front row.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't the S25 have a mix of Ultegra (rear) and 105 derailleurs (front)? And generic alloy brakes to boot? At least that's the last that I remember from their website (I'd check it again right now but I absolutely hate that the website resizes my browser upon visiting - I'm boycotting the site untilt they fix that).

For the same price last year, the S22 (which I own and like, but am selling to get a P3) had an all Ultegra drivetrain and 105 brakes, which seemed like a better deal to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo vs Felt (round one) [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year's S22 was more expensive that this years S25. I loved the S22 last year, but for $200 this year's bike has Dura Ace shifters and derailleurs and a one-piece carbonX bar and also uses the B2 frame ($1400 frame alone).

The Tektro RX2.5 dual pivot caliper uses tha same cartridge brake pads only found on Dura-Ace level calipers with rotory "v-brake" style conical washers to adjust toe. The set also weighs a mere 330 grams. Three years ago the tektro reverse brake levers modeled after the mighty Dia Compe 188s were labled generic too, that is until they showed up on LA bike, then every bike company from Aegis to X-Lab specced them.

I'd like to also say, I've got no beef with Cervelo. They have paid their dues in the wind tunnel and learning empirically. Their support of professional athletes should not go unnoticed either, nor should professional athletes willingness to buy a P3 and have it painted up like their team bike for ITTs (Wohlberg, etc...) Their bikes have cult status here and amongst the tri/tt crowd the world over. I just don't think their reputation encompasses "good value" as I and many consumers define it.

Last edited by: SuperDave: Nov 16, 03 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Felt's S25 has Ultegra derailleurs/carbon cranks @ $1700
The S22 has Dura Ace derailleurs and a CarbonX aerobar for $2100

If Cervelo raised the bar, Felt grabbed it from them and beat them soundly with it.
[/reply]

Dave:

You're a bit selective. If you switch those derailleurs and CarbonX bars you're talking about onto the Dual you will spend less than $2100, and you have a frame with a full aero seattube, full aero seatpost, internal cables, etc. You don't get the carbon seatstays (and not getting those is a positive in my books but obviously some people may think differently about that). Of course there are more differences than these, and they go both ways, so the overly simple approach is not the right one.

The S25 according to the Felt website only has one Ultegra derailleur, it does have a carbon crank but it has a simple round seattube and simple seatpost, so nowhere near a Dual frame. It is also $100 more expensive than the Dual.

As for the frame-only price of the S22 frame, that's one of the oldest trick in the book. Do you really think that is a $1400 frame which with a $400 crank and $300 aerobar sells for $2100 with the drivetrain and wheels thrown in for free?

Of course not, no dealer will expect to sell a single frame but it gives a perceived value to the complete bike to list a frame price like that. It would be the same if we list the Dual frame at $1400. It's not unreasonable, there are frames similar to the Dual that sell for as much as $2000, but it is a bit of a canard.

Look, Jim's a nice guy, he puts together nice bikes but when you compare spec and prices the differences aren't that big. Then it comes down to comparing frame features.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a new tri bike. Came down to the Dual and the 2003 Felt s22. Component-wise the Felt definitely had the edge but I wasn't too concerned with that. Part of the fun is obssessing over and tinkering with parts. The Dual has those sweet Cervelo pipes and the way that back wheel locks in close to the seat tube is a thing of beauty. But I rode them both and it came down to this -- the Felt just plain excellerates. Sucker jumps. The Dual rolls 700s and just didn't feel as fast. No question its a nice bike but the Felt was so unbeliveably quick and responsive. I don't know a hell of a lot about bike building, so I don't why the Felt is faster, I just know it is.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][.reply] How long does it take to get a new 2004? [./reply]

I was told two weeks ago that if I orderd a Cervelo now (then), I could expect delivery some time in Dec.[/reply]

That's correct. P2K and P3 are in stock or in final assembly depending on the size, Duals if ordered now are delivered in December.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo vs Felt (round one) [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Ding! Ding! Ding!

Well that ends round one, with Superdave coming out just ahead!

Round Two shall commence shortly with Gerards opening remarks.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to enjoy this one from the front row.[/reply]

I hope you're not thinking this will be going the distance, since the only time I've gone 12 rounds on a forum was with Slowman, and although it was an honor it was a bad experience for both of us (and the spectators). In fact, that was 5 years ago and he still won't admit I was right. :-)

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just yesterday recieved my new Dual. I am not sure what all the fuss is about specs? I was able to upgrade to ultegra front der, dura-ace rear, and profile design brake levers for not much at all (less around $100.00).

I did those upgrades because I felt that it was cheaper to do those upgrades and swap out the other componants at time of purchase than it would be to do them at a later date.

The only thing you cant upgrade is the frame so in my mind you should get the best frame that fits both your body and your budget.

Other upgrades like wheels etc. would likely be the same price now or later.

The bottom line as far as I am concerned is that I got a great bike at a fair price and I'm not at all concerned if there is any other bike out there that looks better on paper for $100 less.

The other thing that you get with a Cevelo is a nearly direct line to the owner. I have never seen a post regarding one of Gerards bikes go without a response. I just e-mailed him a pain question and he got back to me right away. You cant beat that.

Thanks to Cervelo for a great ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo vs Felt (round one) [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard,
I do love the upgrades on the dual and I love all of the new colors. You have again outdone yourself. Plus thanks for the response to my thread. How much does a dual 2004 weigh? P2k weigh?

KYRocket
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo The One, Dual, P2k [logan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No beef with Cervelo being a great bike. They are. I was defending the value of Felt. I'm glad you enjoy your Cervelo, if you love it, you'll ride it. Thats the bottom line.

Enjoy,
SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No beef with cervelo being a great bike. They are."

Oh well, so much for my prize fight. Good to see SlowTwitch once again maintains the peace. This board rocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I have already (in 2 days) put more km on this bike (wind trainer) than I did in the first 2 months of winter last year.

Great bike, not the only great bike out there but still a great bike
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo vs Felt (round one) [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Gerard,
I do love the upgrades on the dual and I love all of the new colors. You have again outdone yourself. Plus thanks for the response to my thread. How much does a dual 2004 weigh? P2k weigh?

KYRocket[/reply]

I honestly do not know. People always think I am kidding, but why would I weigh our bikes every year? Every bike with Ultegra has a weight somewhere in a 2 lb. wide range (unless it's really funky like a Softride). Weight in itself may not be insignificant, a 2 lb. weight difference on a 120-300 lb. total rider plus bike weight is.

I know that our frames are in the middle of the range when it comes to weight, we don't want to be the lightest because we believe bb and torsional stiffness are more important than a few ounces saved. Same thing with the components, we only use superlight components if they meet all our internal requirements (such as the Syntace F99 stem). If not,then we go with average weight parts with above average stiffness and strength proporties.

Knowing this, I also know without weighing them that the weights of our complete bikes will be competitive. That's all I need to know, that there is no noticable weight penalty and that there are advantages in other areas (stiffness, durability, aerodynamics, etc.)

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply