Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bontrager carbon or zipp 404
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: bontrager carbon or zipp 404 [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong here (it happens more often than I care to admit really) but I'm pretty sure the Bontragers are actually Zipps with different decals. Same thing goes for their disc wheel...dimples and all...looks like a Zipp with fancy paint scheme. Anyone know any different?

------------------------------------------------------------------

My bad here..shoulda remembered that Trek has the rights to the old Rolf patents (I think...should really stop doing that I suppose). Just saw a pair on ebay and upon closer inspection the Bontragers look like a hybrid offspring of a Zipp/Rolf mating. I swear they look like Rolf hubs and the rim sure looks Zipp to me (save for the paired spoke pattern). Still stand behind my opinion of their disc though. If it isn't a Zipp it is a pretty good knock off.
Last edited by: Kentiger: Nov 16, 03 2:15
Quote Reply
Re: bontrager carbon or zipp 404 [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No!!!

Actually the bontragers are more like the corima A12 with a different spoke pattern, I even think that they both have a 45 mm deep rim.

Sergio

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: bontrager carbon or zipp 404 [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are certainly NOT Zipp's. No way. I am sure that Trek is not building them and have lost their wheel guru as Rolf has left the building...I am not sure what to expect from Trek but do have nightmares of Matrix ISO CII style failures.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: bontrager carbon or zipp 404 [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are nice wheels. Contrary to what the others so far have said, the Bonti carbon rim is made by Trek. No one esle uses this rim, ie it is not a rebranded Zipp, Hed, Corima, or other rim. It is built on a Hugi manufactered hub.

The Bontrager disc, on the other hand, is a rebadged Zipp. The only difference is the sticker.

The Zipp 404 is a bit deeper than the Bontrager, so on the front it might be a little faster, but also might be a little trickier in a crosswind. On the rear, I'm unsure but it will probably be a wash. Advantage to Zipp on rim depth negated by Bontrager's lower spoke count.

hope that helps. Both are expensive, but they are good.
Quote Reply
Re: bontrager carbon or zipp 404 [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager disks don't have dimples, do they?

Last year's Zipp disk wheel for extra money. Well, they must be selling it on the "Lance rides it; it must be better" philosophy.

I have no experience with either the 404's or the Bontrager carbon spoked wheels.

BTW, I'm not saying that dimples make that much of a difference, just that it seems illogical to charge more for the last year model from another manufacturer when that manufacturer is selling this year's version for less.
Last edited by: skater: Nov 16, 03 17:04
Quote Reply