Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

need help to learn to xc ski
Quote | Reply
If anyone can tell me how to cross country ski or how to learn over this
winter I want to know cause I am planning on doing the...

www.triath.com
WISP WINTER TRIATHLON
2.5 M Run - Snow Tube - 8 M MTB - Snow Tube - 6 M XC Ski - Snow Tube - 1.5 M
Snow Run

on february 29th so I got a couple of months to learn how to xc ski.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: need help to learn to xc ski [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learning to ski is very much like learning to swim. It's possible to figure out on your own (or with books/videos/etc) but it's MUCH better and easier with proper instruction. Take an intro class at very least to get the basics down.

The other thing is I'm assuming you'll be on borrowed/rented equipment? Check to see if you have classic or skate gear available to you, and pick the lesson based on whichever gear you'll be using. Skate is faster and (in my mind) easier to learn, but if you've got classic gear to work with, you'll want classic technique.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: need help to learn to xc ski [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Learning to ski is very much like learning to swim"

I agree as x-country is mostly about technique. I've been doing x-country skiing for years. Went out last winter with a group from our runnning club on a few occassions. These people are all mostly much better runners than myself but I totally smoked them on the ski trails. All about technique.

There is also two styles - classic and skate skiing. Classic mimics running more than skating but I personally prefer skating as I find it faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely get some sort of personal instruction. Try your local ski shop for lessons, or try your local community college.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me echo two previous posts - it is like swimming and get yourself some lessons. My boyfriend-now-husband is an excellent x-c racer, so you know how that works..... I learned to ski (he has yet to do more than the bike leg of a tri, but I'm working on it). First thing I did was get set up for lessons, within four hours (two days two hours each) I was off on my own and having a great time. I've done several races now and love it.

It's much like swimming - the glide, hips, lats, the whole thing - hey, it's even with water, only frozen.

Enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely recommend you learn to skate ski for this event. It seems to be a very important leg time-wise and you will be faster skate skiing. You may even find it easier to become an intermediate level skier sooner skating rather than classic. Skate skiing is sexy and all the rage and a great way to drive your heart rate into the heavens...but, you need to keep some things in mind. It will be difficult to find any quality used skate gear and you will need to be near a prepared ski track to get in any training. Some hard packed roads will work but your timing will be paramount. On the other hand, you can pick up good used classic gear easily and go skiing anywhere, anytime there is a little snow. Classic skiing is just that, a great way to get some fun exercise and not have to go too hard. Just like bikes, I predict you'll want to own both eventually. But back to your original question: I'd buy the best boots you can afford, skis next and everything else you might already have especially if you bike in the upper midwest in the shoulder seasons (tights, gloves,headbands,etc.). PS: Take lessons.
Quote Reply
Re: need help to learn to xc ski [schubwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stongly recommend the instructional CDROMs and tapes from XCZONE - detailed video based instruciton, plenty of text if thats the way you learn and lots of inspirational clips.

(No, I don't have any affiliation with them)
Quote Reply
Re: need help to learn to xc ski [jstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who replied. I also got some reccomendations from another cyclist on the weekend 70 mile long ride. Looks like the ski season starts here about Dec. 1st.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply