Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Kit or Tri Suit?
Quote | Reply
I am 5'4", weigh 162 pounds, 36D bra size. I am currently training for my first sprint triathlon, which is May 2nd.

I am in the process of losing weight (down 18 lbs, yay!!!), but don't expect a drastic change by May. I'm trying to decide whether to get a tri kit or tri suit.

I tried on a tri suit this weekend. It was a 2XU brand women's specific suit, size XL. It fit OK (a little tight) in my chest but the leg grippers were lose, and the crotch was sagging. I think I have a shorter upper body. I wanted to try on some other brands but all the store had were XS-M and I KNOW those won't fit me LOL

Can any women who are close to my size, especially in the chest, give me advice on what brands work best? And whether you wear a tri kit or a tri suit and why?

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Kit or Tri Suit? [tflores11212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd chime in even though I'm a guy. I have three Zoot kits and two 2XU suits. I like the kits for training (easier to go pee) and the suit for racing. Although, last year, I wore the suits in training because I like that no binding around the waist feeling even though it's inconvenient when going to the bathroom (unless you pee the bike).

I bought a smaller size kit and suit because the fabric will stretch a bit (not much, but over time it will), and, if you have other races planned for the year, you will get toned. If an outfit feels tight now in March, think about how it will fit by summer and fall after you've done more s/b/r.

Check out the deals 6pm.com and Sierra Trading Post offer.
Last edited by: Recoverie: Mar 3, 15 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always do a two piece. Easier to use the restroom. Plus, I might take 2 different sizes - top vs. bottom.
I can't comment on tops that would work for you though, sorry - we are a tad different.

Try to find some stuff on sale and have FUN experimenting!!!
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'6" 150 36DD and I love my Coeur kit. The shorts are super comfy and the top had good support paired with a solid sports bra. A large in both fit me well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my tri suit! I wear kits training but I ALWAYS wear a suit racing. I use the champion systems elite women's tri suit with the racer back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was your size in the past and have lost some weight so my measurements aren't the same, but I really like two pieces. Basically I'm hard to fit - upper body is bigger around the chest but I have a small shoulder area, so it's hard to find something 1-piece or even tops that fit but don't have giant straps (or whatever you call the area of the top that goes over your shoulder on a sleeveless tri kit/suit!) that isn't sagging. And I'm a different top size than bottom so a 1-piece just won't work.

So anyhow, it's been easier for me to find two-piece things and I like having it separate to go to the restroom, and it looks better on me, frankly.

I used Zoot shorts and top then. Now I wear SOAS Racing, I like the shorter shorts and the waistband.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Kit or Tri Suit? [FastCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the very nice compliment! By the way, we agree that trying out different options (and brands) make sense. There are some great women's brands out there like Betty Designs and Smashfest (and of course, our company - Coeur). From our perspective, there are definitely minor variations between brands due to minor tweaks made by the designer to the pattern and what works for one person may not be quite right for the next. Fortunately, there are more and more options available for women these days, so it should be possible to find something that is perfect for you. For what it is worth, we'd suggest that you make sure what ever you're buying has the following features: 1. Flatlock seams (they're smoother and stronger than some other cheaper options), 2. a top that covers your lower back when you're in the aero position (we call the sunburn on your lower back a "racing stripe"), and 3. just enough gripper to keep the legs down without chafing.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

thanks,

Charlotte
http://www.coeursports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, hooray for you tackling your first sprint!

We're close to the same height, but different builds/size so I can't make a helpful suggestion of something to try. However, I doubt even the right size 2XU would fit. I'm 36A-B, long torso, very short inseam with some seriously girth to my thighs. How you describe the 2XU suit fitting is exactly how I need it, even size S has a long enough torso and generous enough legs that it feels like a second skin.

If you're really set on a tri-suit, try different brands other than 2XU. Personally I love the ease of the suit over a kit - no potential of wardrobe malfunctions during my races.
Last edited by: Mell: Mar 11, 15 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would go with a two piece. At least for now. I think it will suit you better while you are changing sizes & can adjust the top/bottom sizes as necessary. I am pretty frugal (or cheap) and like to know I am going to get my money's worth out of my gear.

You'll have to let us know how your first race goes!
Quote Reply