Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outdoor Shower ideas
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for easy DIY outdoor shower ideas for the backyard. The shower would be mainly used after running/bike workouts in the summer. I normally stand under the water hose . We live in Texas so it is basically hot here year round. Our kids are grown but their fort is still in the backyard. I've been trying to figure out a way to convert the fort into a shower.
I could buy a basic stand from amazon but figured someone on slowtwitch has probably already come up with a better setup for an outdoor shower.

Any ideas?
Last edited by: milesaway: Mar 1, 15 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Shower ideas [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with the one inside?
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Shower ideas [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Nothing.I like to take off my soaking wet workout clothes and cool off before going into the house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google "outdoor shower" and you'll find tons of great ideas. My wife and I have used one for the past 20+ years for the summer in upstate NY. We use an old 40 gallon galvanized tank painted flat black as a solar hot water heater but you probably don't need that in Texas. How about a spiral of bamboo fencing material?

What ever you do you'll love it.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's inside. That is the problem.

There is nothing like an outdoor shower. We have one we use in the summer. Right from an OWS, bike, or run and into the shower with the blue sky. Perfect.

logella wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Shower ideas [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
It's inside. That is the problem.

There is nothing like an outdoor shower. We have one we use in the summer. Right from an OWS, bike, or run and into the shower with the blue sky. Perfect.

logella wrote:

Only someone who hadn't used an outdoor shower during the summer would ask what's wrong with the one inside;)

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Shower ideas [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in a few beach houses that had them. They were all plumbed through the wall to an interior bathroom. They had both hot and cold. (Necessary for California beaches most of the year)

If you just want an outdoor hose shower, you could do just about anything. You could run a hose adapted to a showerhead wherever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 options..

If its proper hot (Queensland Australia here .. .summer.. so its pretty warm..).. then kit off and dive in the pool for 15 mins..
Simply to pull down temp..

If its not so hot, or perhaps i have been CX or MTB riding (so covered in shite), then i just use the hose down the side of the house.. its warm for the first 10secs or so (the water that has been in the hose line), then cools down nicely.. so no rude shock....

Personally with those i'd not bother with a formal shower.. outside at least.. Faling that just put a shower head above the outdoor tap and rig the hose pipe attachment to it.. done deal for maybe 50 bucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Its more fun having sex in an outdoor shower.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is always the "westside shower". You hang the hose over a tree branch.....taa daaa.......(yep, i'm a west sider)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a cheap "Camp Shower" that I use after races and open water swimming. It is basically a heavy duty plastic bag that has clear material on one side so the black inside absorbs sun. You hang it in a tree or suitable object.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When staying in Bend, OR in the summer the AirBnB we rent has an outdoor shower. Man, there's nothing quite like it. I hear you 100%!

I'd highly recommend looking at an "instant" inline water heater. You'll save a lot of energy and only have water on demand with a tankless setup.

~DE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have access to water supply, like exterior hot water heater? if so you could definitely DIY. I was able to do in a day on the side of my house with some copper pipes, shower head and faucet handles. Amazing what you can learn on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're already starting from a hose... Easy to put a 'Y' fitting on the faucet so you still have your regular hose available; we've got one with secondary valves on each line so you can open/close them independently of the main. Run a secondary hose to the fort/stall, then a threaded coupler from hose (coarse thread) to 3/4" PVC (fine thread). Then another coupler from threaded to smooth PVC (could also maybe step down from 3/4 to 1/2" depending on your pressure; might also be able to cut out a couple or 2 if you can find one that goes straight from 3/4" hose thread to 1/2 smooth female end).

From there, anybody with opposable thumbs and a room temp IQ (I know, even me) can fashion the rest of the necessary plumbing from a hacksaw and a can of blue PVC cement, plus whatever elbow/endcap/nozzle fittings you need from the hardware store. It's cheap and easily customizable by length, and flexible enough to tolerate middling precision unless you're in a super tight corner or something; also pretty tolerant of temp swings, no rust, etc. You can even put in a T-cutoff valve easily ~ it's just like an irrigation line, except you'll be working more vertically than horizontally (and no digging!).

Buying an actual "shower kit" to install would be way less satisfying and cost you DIY Man Points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a nice one, but my dogs always poop on it. So I use the "backup" shower after surfing and yard work.

Quote Reply
Re: Outdoor Shower ideas [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get your neighbor to mow your grass.... ;)
Quote Reply