Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No veloplugs? I've used them successfully before on previous C2 versions of Hed wheels AND latex tubes and they worked fine. And no tape over the Veloplugs, just the plugs.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
jrielley wrote:
Yeah I have the jet plus. Maybe my idea of easy is just me being used to putting tires on rims that suck so I am used to it. I had a hell of a time a few years ago getting any tire on my Sram S80. But if I had to do it quickly my mind might change!

some people just don't know the technique maybe

Arguably part of it but there's no doubt in my mind that it's much harder to mount a fresh tire to a Jet+ rim than a Flo, Bontrager Aeolus, or run of the mill 19mm box rim (in that order).
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
andy515 wrote:
I've mounted a lot of tires on various rims but Hed Jet rims are by far the toughest! Went through a few tubes and some skin on my fingers trying to get GP 4000s tires on and the tires arent even new. Not sure what I will do if I flat in a race... Anyone else have this issue and how the heck to you get tires on somewhat easily?

The Jet Plus rim extrusion on them has the same shape (inside the tire well) as the Ardennes Plus, which are tubeless-compatible. They have a similar design to other tubeless compatible wheels (sold by various brands for road, CX, and mountain bikes) - there is a deep center channel, and then a flat "shelf" on either side. The "shelf" has a larger diameter so the tire bead has a tight fit when it pops up into place - aiding in making the fit air tight for tubeless use. The only catch is that when changing tires, you need to push the beads to the center of the rim, down into the center channel. If you don't do this, it will be *very* difficult to remove or install the tire. I removed and installed two tires from Ardennes Plus rims yesterday without using any tire levers (just my hands) using the method I mentioned. Give it a try - should help.

This is key. Still, you must have pretty strong hands... or you were installing a big-ish tire :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
there's no doubt in my mind that it's much harder to mount a fresh tire to a Jet+ rim than a Flo, Bontrager Aeolus, or run of the mill 19mm box rim (in that order).

Depends on the tire, depends on the rim. Mostly it depends on the operator. "Harder" is relative, some require a little more effort and technique. If you know what you're doing any tire can be mounted/removed in 30-60 seconds (based on several hundred tire/rim combos over the years) with a couple of good levers.

If it takes you 20 minutes to do a tire change go visit your LBS and have a mechanic show you how to do it right. Yes, it will be slightly embarrassing but it beats complaining and sitting on the side of the road when you should be riding.

3 Nats titles, 1 Nat record, 17 State champs. 4 wind tunnels. 100's of hours of testing. Still figuring this stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
The same goes for installation. Keep the tire bead down in the dropped center of the rim. You may have to actually push it off the bead shelf and into the center. When you inflate the tire, the bead will go where it belongs.
AND - use the included rim tape. Two layers.

Just double-confirming this. I had some issues the first time putting GP4000SII tires on HED Jet 6+/9+ rims. You've got to keep the tire in the center of the rim. In fact, make sure both sides have their beads resting down in there while you're putting it on. Keep pushing the tube into the tire to make sure you don't pinch it and really work it around. You may still need to use a tire lever, but not until the very last couple inches are left to get over.

Once you've got the tire on and you're pumping it up, you're going to hear the tire "pop" very lightly a few times. This is the tube+tire expanding, causing the tire's bead to jump out to the rim. That's what you want!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [paulstronaut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulstronaut wrote:
Once you've got the tire on and you're pumping it up, you're going to hear the tire "pop" very lightly a few times. This is the tube+tire expanding, causing the tire's bead to jump out to the rim. That's what you want!

And you should fully "pop" it off the bead and into the channel if you're removing the tire.

3 Nats titles, 1 Nat record, 17 State champs. 4 wind tunnels. 100's of hours of testing. Still figuring this stuff out.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [KR Bickel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a Michelin on with no levers. Bead down the center and 2nd bead lots of patience, rolling up and took a bit of heat.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
why do wheel manufacturers make wheels where simple tyre replacement is a monumental challenge. Lets make 25 mm wide rims and market this as being faster and then go oh, you mean people might want to change the tyre

It's the inner width that matters, not the outer.

If they want to cut costs and not fill in that extra space you'll get 23mm wide inner rim widths. That's when you gotta use tire levers.

I figured this out the hard way and installed wire bead tires on a new rim once. Had to get them cut off with wire cutters after hacking my way through the tire and tube. Ridiculous.

But before I knew all this, I used "common sense" and though, "well, the wider the inner width, the more space the tire has when mounting. Ergo, it should be easier!" I couldn't be more wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a flat on my HED Ardennes plus and tried to changed it on the side of the road. No go and I did watch the HED clip Herbert posted a while back so I knew it was going to be a challenge. I goggled HED Ardennes Plus and up came this thread.

Yesterday I decided to "try" and mount my GP 4000, WTF life is too short to deal with this. Some good tips in this thread and the clip was excellent but I guess I'm selling them if for no other reason then piece of mind.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are having anything other than finger installation with Hed rims you are not following the directions or you are not carefully checking that the beads are centered as you mount the tire. I have two pairs of Jets and I have mounted Contis, Michelins, and Vittoria tires with no tools. Just pay careful attention that both sides of the tire bead are in the center channel of the rim for the entire circumference of the wheel.

They take no more time than any other wheel to change the tire if you are paying attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if they are the black Ardennes i might help you get rid of them...
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are having anything other than finger installation with Hed rims you are not following the directions or you are not carefully checking that the beads are centered as you mount the tire. I have two pairs of Jets and I have mounted Contis, Michelins, and Vittoria tires with no tools. Just pay careful attention that both sides of the tire bead are in the center channel of the rim for the entire circumference of the wheel.
They take no more time than any other wheel to change the tire if you are paying attention.
---------------------------------
Ok I'm going to give it one more try. I'm going to my bike shop and I'll run it by them too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if they are the black Ardennes i might help you get rid of them...
-------------------
Not the black, LT's

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potentially stupid question here. I'm trying to install tires/tubes on a Jet Plus 6, the wheel came with a HED extender valve but for the life of me I can't get the thing to thread onto the Presta valve on my tube. I'm using a standard Conti Race 28 tube (23 width) with a regular Presta valve. Am I missing something here? I assume HED would include a standard valve extender. It seems like the threads for the extender are slightly too narrow/small for the Presta valve. It fits around the threads like it should mate and screw in, but screwing it (either direction) just spins with no real threading... Am I a goddamn idiot?
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are for removable valve cores only. Did you remove the core and try it that way?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Why is it so hard to mount a tire on Hed Jet plus rims!! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aha! I didn't think it was removable but I just popped it off with some pliers and connected it easily. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the rim tape that came with the wheels (Stans tubeless 25mm tape, 2 layers) and almost impossible to get off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next