Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new ideas in aero wheels
Quote | Reply
reviewing some stages of this years TDF i noticed a trend, correct me if i'm wrong. it seems that there were significantly more wheels with shallower rims and fewer spokes instead of deeper rims and more spokes. i.e. nimble fly and zipp 404. wondering if anyone has any ideas about the aeroness. mcgee won the prologue on a very shallow shimano, 30mm or somewhere in there. i am looking into a new race set next year for tt's and road races, for flats and climbs. zipp 404 seems the obvious choice, but what about a nimble fly in TT's.
Quote Reply
Re: new ideas in aero wheels [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think because the prologue is pretty short and has a lot of turns it's not a true test of time trial wheel effectiveness.

I think in just about any true time trial effort a disc and a Hed 3-spoke is about as good as it gets. Look at the Posties, they did ok and that's what they used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"seems that there were significantly more wheels with shallower rims and fewer spokes instead of deeper rims and more spokes. i.e. nimble fly and zipp 404. "

I really recommend a visit to Kraig Willet's site. He's an occasional poster here and has done some unbiased wind tunnel testing. The site has a number of interesting studies including one with a Zipp 404, Specialized(hed) tri spoke and other wheels. The other fascinating study involves a Zipp disc vs CH Aero covers.

It's a pay site that involves a few dollars via paypal for access but this is only to recoup the cost of wind tunnel rental. Because of this I won't let the cat out of the bag, but the results are quite amazing and will shock a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Re: new ideas in aero wheels [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I really recommend a visit to Kraig Willet's site."

Sorry, I forgot to post the url. I don't know Kraig, but assume that he has no commercial interest in this aero testing. Here's the url:

http://www.biketechreview.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99.9% of those riders will ride whatever the mechanics put onto their bike.

As for an all around wheel, The 404s seem to suit some of the people all of the time...

...or was that all of the people some of the time.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply