Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

older style 650c 1" threaded carbon forks?
Quote | Reply
Would anybody know if these are still made. A roadie friend of mine on a budget just picked up an older tri bike for TT's. It has an aluminium 1" threaded fork with the older 1" quill style Vision Tech aero bars. He wants to replace it with a carbon aero style fork. He asked me if anyone makes these in 650c 1" threaded. Had to tell him I dunno but would ask on the forum.

Any suggestions? If not, then what should he be looking for secondhand on ebay? Anybody got one for sale?
Quote Reply
Re: older style 650c 1" threaded carbon forks? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endurosports in Canada sold me a carbon QR carbon threadless fork with a 1" threadless headset for my bike so if you are willing to change the headset then you can get a fork, if that wont work they might be able to hook you up with a threaded because the bike originally had a threaded carbon fork so it could well still be sitting there.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few threaded 650c forks out there, but not many that I would call aero. What aluminum fork does he have now? The best he can find will probably be a Look LDS/Profile BRC or a Kestrel, neither of which is very aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past summer I asked my wife (who started racing Tri's this year) what she wanted for an aniversary present. She promply stated that she wanted an Alfa Q Pro fork... I stood there with my jaw on the floor! I had no idea that she even knew what an Alfa Q fork was (or any other bike part for that matter).

OK, so she's got the Alfa Q, and I have a threadless carbon aero fork (1"/650c) in my garage looking for a new home. If your friend is looking to up grade to threadless and wants to pay the shipping I'll send it (I live in NC). Not really looking for any money on this one. The carbon aero is in good shape and has been painted gloss black. It's not the lightest fork in the world, but it's pretty aero, and for the most part the right price.

Send me a PM if interested.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to find a threaded fork if your LBS has a die to cut the threads. A couple of years ago I got a 650c QR 1" fork from Inside Out Sports, pretty cheap too. They might still have some in stock. Take that to your LBS, get them cut the fork to length and thread the steerer tube, and you'll be golden.
Quote Reply
Thanks guys.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...for all the suggestions.

"if your LBS has a die to cut the threads"

How did I not think of this one!! Jasonk, thanks for the idea. My brother owns a machine shop. I'm sure he can fix me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great as long as it's not a carbon steerer?

Seriously, I have the same issue so I'm thrilled to see this thread. You can also get the quill to threadless conversion kits. They don't cost much but add a bit of weight (not so much of an issue for a TT bike), and you have to upgrade the headset, etc. I think I figured the whole 'upgrade' would cost me $120 with a reasonable headset.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys.. [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You can also get the quill to threadless conversion kits."

Because he has a older quill style Vision Tech one piece aero bar, that's the main reason to keep a threaded fork. He'd probably upgrade if it wouldn't also mean upgrading the Vision Tech. That would be quite expensive and the original Vision Tech is still ranked as one of the most aero one piece bars available, so that's why he'd want to keep the whole system threaded.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks guys.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get a Kinesis aero fork with a threaded steerer tube, I think they call it the Airfoil or something along those lines. Wholesale vendors have it, his LBS should find it. I'd be very cautious threading a threadless steerer tube, probably not a good idea.

I've got a couple of Hooker Steel forks that are threaded and 1" if he's interested. These are supposed to be really slippery, but obviously not carbon.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply