Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

*Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You
Quote | Reply
i think we can agree that there is little solid research on this subject. The best I've come across is Older Faster Stronger and What Makes Olga Run.

I'm interested in any performance tips that older women can offer. The other thread has lots on handling symptoms of peri- and mid-menopause: maybe this one could proceed on the basis that you're through it, and how to make the best of what you've got. What's worked for me has been --

getting a solid 8-9 hours of sleep a night (and solid means not drinking, so no waking up at 3:00)
sport-specific strength training (specifically overgearing on trainer, swimming w/ band, 15+ level on elliptical)
eating red meat

pretty basic and obvious. Maybe others have better ones?
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOVE this idea kiki!

Right now this is what I'm working with:

1) Yes!!! on the 8-9 hours of sleep. (I had to cut out wine due to the 1:30-2:00 a.m. awakenings, and right now due to a lot of personal stuff going on I take 1/2 an Ambien)
2) Stay super-hydrated. I used to think I drank enough but then I started counting how many 16.9 oz bottles I drank in a day. I was only drinking 3 at best. Now I make the effort to drink 5 or 6 at least. Also, use of Osmo Pre-Load the night before seems to really help for long runs/rides and regular Osmo during.
3) Eat more protein (chicken, beans, yogurt, beef), unlimited fruits and vegetables and go easy on the processed carbs like pasta, bread, pizza dough, etc. It may all be in my head but I FEEL bloated the morning after pizza night (and I make it at home on a whole grain crust!)
4) Train with HR monitor. I used to thrash myself every day by running everything too hard.
5) Probably hand-in-hand with the HR monitoring I have also learned to cut myself some slack when I start to feel overwhelmed. Sometimes a recovery day or week is the best thing you can do for your body.

That's what I have for now!

Patti

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 No more alcohol. It wasn't worth the sleep disruption. After years of eating very little meat I've added poultry, fish and dairy back into the diet. I'm dealing with bone density issues so taking appropriate meds and supplements (calcium and D) per my doc. I'm also strength training for the first time. Mostly body weight/TRx work a few times per week.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [sneaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up to strength training!!!

Also higher intensity for shorter length- with an attention to recovery (sleep, massage, nutrition,etc)

Staying extremely active is my "anchor" and what gets me through those nasty hot flashes. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever find that a mens wetsuit works better for them at an older ? I'm having a bear of a time with womens smalls and even mediums, now that I am more apple than pear shaped in my older age. Shoulders feel really restricted in my womens wetsuit, I weigh the same but it's distributed...less pleasantly. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mens wetsuit sizing definitely works better for me...or a desoto two piece. Roka wetsuit is what I'm currently wearing -the men's medium. Only downside is the sleeves are about 1.5 inches longer-but I just fold over and have a small cuff
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [Greenbean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was a small in womens....tried small/medium......wonder if that equals a small mens. How did your sizing work out? thanks so much for replying
Quote Reply
Re: *Post* Menopause Training Tips - What's Working for You [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried on a women's med and womens large but neither fit well due to body proportions (I don't have curvy hips and the women's suits are very baggy at hips and too small at waist). I can't really say whether there would be a direct transfer between same size in men vs women, you'd have to try on.
Quote Reply