Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

compact vs. triple
Quote | Reply
I don't want this to turn into another debate over which is "better" a compact vs a triple, but I do have a question. I am looking for a new bike and at the same time moving to south-west virginia (plenty of mountains) so I am either going to put a compact or triple on my new bike. I have been told by airborne that a triple will not fit their x-1. I still don't know what bike I will get, but that brings the question what about a frame would not allow the triple crank to fit? As I've said may not be a problem, but it peeked my curiosity.
Quote Reply
Re: compact vs. triple [chriswaites] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are probably many possible problems.

The one that got me is that my '03 Team Soloist uses a braze-on mount for the front derailleur. The mount point is just a little bit too far forward to allow for the derailleur to be able to handle the difference between the 30 and the 53. I had to make up the mother of all ugly shims to push the derailler back and slightly rotate it to make it all "work" (it's very tempermental). Maybe something like this would work on the Airborne - but I wouldn't recommend being the guinea pig. If I'd known about this in advance, I'd have chosen a compact setup. Unfortunately, Cervelo's site said (and still says) that there is no problem with a triple on a Soloist. Be thankful that Airborne is being upfront about it.
Quote Reply