Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Really interesting at the Nursing Home [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again my tatoos have nothing to do with you it has to do with me. When I'm old and you are shaking your head at my ink I will love them just as much. They're not for you, they're for me.

Love ya lots.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [Boz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, if you let an m-dot tattoo influence your first impression of someone, grow up, or get out of middle school. Safe bet you fall into your latter 33% if this is such an issue to you. Im betting my first impression of you is wrong, I hope.
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have an "SPQR" tattoo? That would be bad, as in cool BAD! If I got a tattoo, it would be "SPQR" on my left shoulder. I'd be bad if I had that.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [broll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so defensive? People always have a first impression when they meet someone and to a certain segment of the population a tatoo makes a poor first impression. You may not like that, but it's a fact. Also, be honest, that Mdot tatoo is there to get noticed. I'm no better. I have an mdot hat I wear everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
to a certain segment of the population a tatoo makes a poor first impression

that is absolutely true, but...

what if the tattoo is only noticed after a long time? ie, if i keep it discrete, small, and on the ankle where it generally won't get noticed right off the bat?

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess there's a little gladiator in all of us crazy triathletes, isn't there?

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> if i keep it discrete, small, and on the ankle where it generally won't get noticed right off the bat?<<

Ha! Mine are right above my ankles and I wear skirts and dresses a lot, and almost always bare-legged. I work in an staid, white-shoe +100 year old law firm. They don't care.

Who wanted to see a picture? Quality isn't the best, as it's hard to get the lighting right.

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=avr6ezf.9i6h9oi7&x=1&y=7ftba8

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting you mention SPQR. I just looked up its meaning after renting Gladiator for the umpteenth time (yes, I should buy it and add it to my very small personal collection of favorite films) and thought about modifying it somehow into something that represented me as an American in a tattoo (and not a Harley-Davidson tattoo). SPQR is short for a Latin phrase - "Senatus Populusque Romanus", meaning the "Senate and the People of Rome" and worn by at least Roman soldiers. Very similar to what American G.I.s have done for years. Tom, do you have an American military tattoo? Same thing, but I agree, SPQR is way cool.

I have no tattoos, but have thought often about what would be important to me so much so that I would be willing to have it become part of me for the rest of my days. My wife and I talked about this together and we have a great marriage, but neither one of us was fool enough to even consider each others names or likenesses. Our son was about the only thing that came to mind that was even considered. We are both marathon finishers and that wasn't good enough. There's always someone better or something longer, such as ultramarathons, Double Ironmans, Double Centuries, RAAM, etc. The Western States 100 gives belt buckles for sub-24 hour finishers. Sub 30-hour finishers get one, too (I think), but it's somehow different. Even Mt. Everest is climbed by more and more people each year.

So for me, I'll keep thinking and remain doubtful that I'll ever do anything that will compel me to get a tattoo. I've started many a conversation with my Wildflower hat, event t-shirts and other schwag, so an Ironman hat and polo t-shirt would do it for me. Even Maximus removed his SPQR tattoo.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guess the truth hurts, shame something like a tattoo can give someone a bad first impression. And i will admit that at races I have seen many things and behaviors that make me think someone is an ass. Perhaps I will get hypocrite tattooed on my back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People who knew me way back when I was a long-haired rocker-looking dude was surprised that I did not have my arms tatooed like Tommy Lee or Nikki Sixx. That being said, I only have one tatoo. I have a black widow in the middle of my back on my spine. I had never gotten to finish the art work (and glad I didn't, in a way) as Mrs. bunnyman does not like tatoos. I got it right before the first meeting of the woman who became mrs. bunnyman.

I dunno. I have a few guidelines about tatoos. First, it better mean something, as it's there for the rest of your life, even when attempting to get them removed. You better be at the age where "you know better", as you're less likely to regret it. It better be in a place where you can hide it, as tatoos will be a rebelious thing once again. If you're Jewish, you had better make sure that you're okay with not being buried in a Jewish cemetary, because it won't happen after a tatoo.

Does mine meet within the guidelines? Mine means a lot. Anyone who has read any of my posts dealing with the opposite gender and relationships will know exactly why I have it. I was well over 25, arguably an age where I should have known better, but now I seriously doubt I knew much of anything at that point, let alone now. I told everyone the placement in the first paragraph. I am okay with not being buried in a Jewish cemetary.

I am not one who personally thinks we need to brand ourselves with tatoos to show that we're athletes. I would only brand myself with something that is a milestone or something. Mine did celebrate a milestone. M-dot is okay if you've done one, but I would have dates and my time, as well. I kinda like to see people be surprised that the guy on the bike poster hanging in my station is me, as I am kind of looking a bit like the long-haired rocker-looking guy I was a few years back, albeit with quite a bit of grey hairs these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little on the defensive, are we? I was making no judgements on you. Neither did I make a positive or negative judgement on anybody with a tattoo whether it be an Mdot or anchor or heart or whatever. Maybe you should ask yourself why you inferred and reacted the way you did. I simply stated that having one will affect first impressions. Prove me wrong.

To the fellow who states it's nothing more than a tattoo and it's for him only. Bulls**t. It's an advertisement to the world. If it is truly for him alone, then why not locate the tattoo in the ass-crack or armpit - where only a very select few see it?

Again, I'm not judging the purpose or merits of having the damn tattoo itself, I was simply stating that it will have an affect on impressions. And, if you say those don't matter to you at all, that is bulls**t too. (Would you show up on a first date with egg on your face?)
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You, or any other person for that matter, weren't going through my brain housing group, while the needle was doing it's work. "

Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got one tattoo, a small one (silver dollar sized) on my left shoulder. I got it in college, completely sober in fact (very odd for that period of my life, I might add). Funny thing -- I had wanted one for many years. My then-girlfriend's brother and one of his friends decided to get one. After they got one, I did the same. My then-girlfriend went with me, and started crying when I got the art. I asked her why she didn't tell me she didn't want me to get one before I had it done. Her reply: "Because you would have said it was your body and you would do what you wanted to to it." She was right. Guess what -- that girl's gone, tattoo is still there. (And it's not her initials!)

I'd like to get another one, but I doubt I will. I keep thinking about it, though. If you want to get an M-dot tattoo, go for it. Lots do, many more don't. It doesn't mean anything except you accomplished something that you want to commemorate.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [TriRABI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatoos, hmm. This one runs deep with me. I grew up in a place and culture (indian res) were tatoos were the norm, albeit they were mostly of the homemade variety. I succumbed, and by the time I was 11 years old I had four of them...India ink, sewing maching needle and some cotton thread. They're small, but permanent. Fact is, now 40+ years later, I regret them (didn't take me 4o years to feel that way, however). I've had one removed with a laser...hurt like hell!

In 1970, while in the Marines, and about to ship out to an uncertain future overseas, a bunch of us went into Oceanside, got plastered, and ended up in a tatoo parlor. We each picked out something and waited our turn. I was at the end of the line, and frankly, sobered up enough by my turn that I decided to wait. Some of those men (boys) were buried with their tatoos (though I guess not any in Jewish cemetaries). One who made it home (albeit with scars) remains a friend, and still has the large skull, scroll, dagger "USMC", and 'Death before Dishonor" on his right forearm. One evening a couple of years ago, we went together to watch an NBA game. He was driving, and without warning, whacked me a good one across the chest. When I asked why, he said that he's still mad that he got the tatoo and I didn't.

Now I have four sons, two of whom have extensive tattooing. The oldest regrets it, the second one will one day.

When I did my first IM a few years back, I though at first that I'd get a small M-dot, but decided to wait a year to see how I felt. I've done several more IM's, and am still with out the tatoo. I did buy a pendant with the outline of the Big Island in the middle of the M-dot, and wear it everyday, under my shirt...close to my heart. I think that's enough for me. Others have chosen the ink, more power to them.
Last edited by: Lloyd: Nov 14, 03 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
33% may think it's cool. 33% may be indifferent. But the other 33% may think you're an ass. A fact of life.

Very true, but about the same for anyone who meets me, whether I have tatoos or not.
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, no military (or any) tattoos. If they ever found my body in a place I wasn't supposed to be there would be no tags in my clothes, no marks on my body. I'd be a ghost. I am partial to girls with little tattos over their butt that you see when they bend over. Big fun.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
My M-dot [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 Ironman distance finishes

4 Ironman North America Finishes.

1 Kona Finish ('97 at the age of 25) which is the only race which motivated my M-dot tatoo.

After finishing Kona after asking my new girlfiend at the time (Who is now my wife) if I should go get an M-dot tatoo, she replied "lets go tomorow you p...y".

My M-dot Tatoo can only be viewed when I am in a speedo or running shorts. So most of the people who see it understand my logic.

BTW both of my parents were totally shocked that I got a tatoo after my ultra conserative childhood. Within the last year each of them have added tattos themselves (and they are both in their 60's). I guess I showed them that it was no big deal.

I plan to get an M-dot for each time I do Kona. Hopefully I can qualify on my own merit. If not maybe I can win the lottery again. I would not get a tatoo for any race outside of Kona. Hopefully one day they will cover my leg!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am partial to girls with little tattos over their butt that you see when they bend over. Yessir
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ah yes , where would you like me to start ?

Coke , Nike , Harley as someone mentioned , Pepsi ,McDonalds etc etc etc

I would say Ironman logo is only known amongst the triathlon community
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [hilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, those timex ironman watches with an m-dot and ironman on them, only a few thousand of them have been sold worldwide to triathletes as you have to finish an ironman to wear one. You would think k-mart and walmart would carry other finishers merchandise as well.
Quote Reply
Re: tattoos - sorry, i really am sorry [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend "road rash" from various bike crashes.

Highly individuallistic, event-specific, fades nicely over time, and brings back memories.

Some of mine are really quite artistic...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might get a tattoo after my next IM but it probably won't be an M-dot...nothing against WTC and the whole corporate logo thing etc...the design is fine but I like tattoos that are a bit more detailed and particular tattoo styles...although I might actually add a small M-dot within the larger tattoo as part of negative space design and that is not very obvious.

I like the comment that someone said to the effect: I get the tattoo for me and not you. Ink isn't for everyone, some people who see mine are really impressed with the work and designs and others think they are totally stupid...I couldn't care less. I do it because I like them...I get them in easily covered up areas and the person who sees them the most are myself. A lot of people seem to have issues about why people get a tattoo after an IM but my feeling is that you don't even have to have an event to commemorate to get some tats. Some of my tattoos have meaning some don't..in the end either you like tattoos or you don't. My only advice is be really really sure you want a tattoo and don't bargain shop for a tattoo artist...you have to live with it forever.

Here are two sites to check out for some great tattoo work:

www.tomrenshaw.com

www.psychotats.com - look under deano cook
Quote Reply

Prev Next