Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike care/cleaning in winter
Quote | Reply
Question for people who have real winter with snow/ice: How to you clean your bike after a ride in winter (when it is wet). Do you hose it down? Do you use a special lube?
I am afraid that there is some salt in the water on the street which might harm my bike.

An were do you store it? My bike is in the garage. Inside the temperatures is not much higher than outside (but I won't go below 0C/32F). Can cold be a problem for the bike.

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: bike care/cleaning in winter [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep my bikes clean most of the time but try not to be a freak about it. I wash them with a hose and soft soapy brush... then do a quick grease wipe with rubbing alchohol in a spray bottle. I have been known to leave it on top of the car when at the car wash (yeah I know, but I regularly repack my bb and head set each season).

Your bike will be fine in the cold garage... but you can bring it inside just to look at it... and remind you to ride.
Quote Reply
Re: bike care/cleaning in winter [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do blow the thing off with steamy hot water from a hose hooked to a utility sink inside, then dry it off outside and bring it in to put in the workstand. During the winter I use a little heavier lube and then change my chain when I get toward Spring. If you keep it as clean as possible (inside and out) I bet you'll be OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply