Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
10 days until Christmas! How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 15 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My goal for the week had been not to binge. I did a pretty good job - I flew across the country overnight Monday into Tuesday, and then had about 6 hours more of travel from the airport to home. Between travel + being super tired on Tuesday, I kind of ate crap that day, but I never hugely binged. :-)

M: 7.5 mi run (mile repeats) + 3200 yd swim + 3 mi bike
T: off
W: 9.5 mi run + 20 min stair master
T: 6.1 mi run (fartlek) + 1000 yd swim
F: 12 mi run + 1200 yd swim
S: 5 mi run + 2700 yd swim
S: 10 mi run (800s)

Totals 8100 yd swim + 3 mi bike + 50.1 mi run

Goals for this week: (1) swim at least 2500 yards today (2) swim 5x total over the course of the week (3) at least one bike trainer or roller session

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, CX season is now officially over. Did the last races on Sat. I wound up 3rd in my series, which I was happy with. Got a silly plastic award.
Tried running again last night. I have most certainly strained or injured my plantar fascia. I'm doing a lot of ice, stretching, work with a resistance band, etc.
So I ran, and while I ran it didn't get worse (easy 4mi). After I was done it felt sore. So I iced immediately, which kind of seemed to make it feel worse. I showered. Then I stretched it, rolled it, and did the resistance band. After that it felt like it did before I ran. this morning it feels like it did yesterday morning. The pain is NOT the 'worst' in the morning, it is the same throughout the day. I had the foot/leg worked on last Wed., and am scheduled to go back on the 22nd. My guy scraped the darn foot and leg and worked the leg hard enough to leave bruises (but I also bruise easily). I think I'll definitely need another treatment. I'm trying to stay positive, too.

So this week - I was planning to take a break from the bike and do swimming and running. the running I'll have to play by ear.
Goals this week
swim 2x
play running by ear
strength 2x

Get Christmas shopping done.

Not go too crazy on holiday food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 5: WIN though feeling pretty beat up
Bike x 3: WIN even if 1 was just a 15min easy trainer spin
Swim x 3: WIN - this actually went really well
Core/strength x 4: WIN

Did my long run too fast on Saturday (late at night in miserable misting rain just above the freezing mark - just wanted to be done) so had really sore/heavy legs on Sunday, plus some general malaise brought on by not enough sleep. I did get 9.5 glorious hours on Friday night because my body unilaterally shut off my alarm Saturday morning without consulting my brain - was supposed to be up at 8.30ish but slept until 9:45. Still got to cycle to the market & back, though, so whatevs. Got a whackload of errands run for holiday-related stuff (ingredients bought and parcels mailed out) and the inside of the house is starting to look festively decorated.

I might just get all the things done before Christmas. Might.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 3
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4
Stop eating like an asshole.

Last week before the pool schedule goes haywire (I may not be able to make a single lane swim for 2 solid weeks) and Christmas starts shutting down training. Having registered for a 3-hour trail race in mid-January and a 50k in May, I'll be trying to stay consistent.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote:
(ingredients bought and parcels mailed out)

I heard on the news this morning that today is the busiest day for mailing stuff!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
- Get back on the good food train DONE - been very good and honest w/myself
- Run 4x DONE and feelin awesome
- Ride 2x DONE and kinda nice, riding in the dark with all the lights up... think I might do a Xmas eve light-seeing ride if it's dry...
- Skate 4x DONE and felt wicked awesome - skate #2 got me moved up a group and I worked so hard that session I was just cooked; session #4 we did heaps of laps, then we did a Cooper Test (12min skate - max your laps). Last year I did it on the 100m track, so much tighter turns, and did 40 laps. This year on the 111m track I did... 40 laps. At first I was kinda unimpressed til my coach reminded me of the track change. So that's 400m more which is not bad...
- Drills/weights 2x FAIL - only 1nce.

This week:
- Last really busy work week until xmas break, so get enough rest & manage stress/bad food choices
- Skate 3x (we break after Wed until early Jan)
- Run 4x (although I really need to get back to running 5-6x week)
- No riding (work commitments will force me to drive every day)
- Really really try to get in 2 weights/drill sessions
- Book flight to long track provincials in mid-Jan (only LT racing before master's worlds!)
- Read up on how to race/pace the 50k marathon skate (I have some ideas but it will be on a 1500m lake [natural] track which is all new to me but will be SUPER COOL!)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a bust - whatever illness I had only got worse throughout the week. Fever/chills/cold symptoms and I was in training all week.

This week I'm aiming for at least 4 workouts. Rollers tonight & maybe running tomorrow if the sinus headache/breathing gets under control.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 15 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50k marathon skate does indeed sound super cool!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you may know this because of your Dutch heritage, but there's a "race" in the netherlands called the elfstedentoch - the 11 cities skate race - every year that is 100 km long . Probably right up your alley as I think those who do it for fun stop at a lot of pubs along the route!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes my mother has been talking it up to me for years.... it's on the bucket list :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not cry in the pool today! Managed to put together 7-8 strokes of butterfly (butterflail) and then just dolphin kicked the rest of my fly laps. Since this is my fourth week ever of even trying fly, I'm feeling good about my progress!

My average yards per swim is slowly and steadily increasing and I set a swim goal for the year - I'd like to swim 100 yds in 2:00, which is almost unbearably slow but would be a major accomplishment for me.

Woot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does she live in the netherlands?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, she lives near me, but she was born there (Haarlem) and emigrated to Canada (White Rock BC) when she was 11. My almost 11yo daughter is amazed at this fact that some one that age moved THAT FAR.

Mom and I want to do the "4 days marches" walking "tour" they put on every year (seeing as the skating event is a crapshoot, last one was late 90s I think). I hope we can do this soon, my mom is 69 now and she walks a ton every day. If we can hold out til K is a bit older, the three of us could do it together.

http://www.holland.com/...our-days-marches.htm

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 15 Edition [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FryeHaar - we can be buddies in the unbelievably slow lane. I'm doing the guppy challenge at the minute and I am having to modify the leave intervals to make them slower...

Last week was okay - Christmas parties all completed but I did discover (the hard way) that an incident in June that I thought was random food poisoning is most likely a mussel/clam intolerance. Luckily I can sacrifice the mussels and clams from the diet without too much regret but I'm really hoping it doesn't extend to other seafood/shellfish. Got in 4 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims, ski-race training and a weight session. 3 of the runs were outdoors so that was a bonus.

This week I'm aiming for 3 swims (1 done), 6 runs (1 done), 3 bikes (1 done) and ski-race training (done, last one until the new year). We're heading down to the mountains to spend the weekend skiing so looking forward to the getaway. Last season we skied 50+ days and I was really sick of skiing by the end of it but this season I feel like it's paid off because I've felt far more comfortable on my skis far earlier in the season than last - well, I have for ski-racing so we'll see how that translates to my all-mountain skiing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Four Days Marches are also known as the Walk of the World. For four days, thousands of participants walk 30, 40 or 50 kilometers each day.

That is an incredible amount of walking. Holy moly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep and they get more than 40k people every year. I love the actual military medal that can be earned. I'm thinking 2016 -- the 100th edition.

------------------------
Quote Reply