Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Dot training
Quote | Reply
Anyone with thoughts on the Tri Dot training programs? Considering them for the upcoming season. I've been self coached for the last few years. Started doing triathlon two years ago after a couple years running marathons. First 140.6 was last year. Considering the copper plan from Tri Dot because my work schedule requires flexibility with training on a daily basis. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:
Anyone with thoughts on the Tri Dot training programs? Considering them for the upcoming season. I've been self coached for the last few years. Started doing triathlon two years ago after a couple years running marathons. First 140.6 was last year. Considering the copper plan from Tri Dot because my work schedule requires flexibility with training on a daily basis. Thanks.

Bah.

You don't get "adjustments" for B races until you're at $400 a month? And even at $800 a month you get to call your coach twice?

Way overpriced. There are proven coaches with wait lists on here that charge much less than that, with a lot more access.

Go over to beginner triathlete and get in a mentor group, or buy one of their plans. Even their free plans if you do your own testing and apply appropriately are as good as that.

I would like to know which part of this is "patents pending".

Edit: I'd also like to know how they get the improvements they brag about, unless they count only the untrained couch potato that signs up. I'd love to improve a 10k by :32/mile in one off season.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Dec 9, 14 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
mpd309 wrote:

Bah.

You don't get "adjustments" for B races until you're at $400 a month? And even at $800 a month you get to call your coach twice?

Way overpriced. There are proven coaches with wait lists on here that charge much less than that, with a lot more access.

Go over to beginner triathlete and get in a mentor group, or buy one of their plans. Even their free plans if you do your own testing and apply appropriately are as good as that.

I would like to know which part of this is "patents pending".

John

Seriously??

for $800 a month I'd expect coach to be in a car handing me bottles on a long ride, and making breakfast for me in the morning. Around here, a full year of club swimming, with a full-time certified coach on deck who you can talk to anytime you want is $3k or so, including pool time...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my god?!?! $800 a month? Especially for that little contact. Good god. I just hired my first coach who I'm very excited about and seems to know his stuff for $100 a month. Monthly skype sessions, daily adjustments to the schedule, email/text any time of day/night.
Check out completehumanperformance.com I emailed back and forth with them briefly and they seemed pretty good too, but the guy I went with was my preferred choice. Their prices i think are either 25/week or 50/week depending on what level of service you want. I was referred to them by someone who is currently using them and was very happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpd309 wrote:

I have been on the Bronze Plan for 3 years. Before Tridot, I hit the podium exaclty once. I've now hit the podium in the last 7 races (pressure!!). These are local races and I'm certainly in no danger of punching a ticket to Kona but I have really improved on the system.

I enjoy my communication with my coach and I like the how everything is data driven. The web page and the daily training email are cool as well.

Now, this is ST so I'm sure that someone will question the system or whatever. This just works on price, time and functionality for me. I might add results as I'm happy about that too!!

ST Disclaimer: I do not work for Tridot and I don't get stuff free from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [Play2Win] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Play2Win wrote:
Now, this is ST so I'm sure that someone will question the system or whatever. This just works on price, time and functionality for me. I might add results as I'm happy about that too!!

I'm not questioning the validity of the system. I'm interested in what they think is unique enough to patent, but I'm astounded at the prices they charge. I think you can get equivalent coaching for much less through other channels, and with probably much the same results (Assuming a dedicated athlete. No coach can get production out of the unmotivated).

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
Play2Win wrote:

I'm not questioning the validity of the system. I'm interested in what they think is unique enough to patent, but I'm astounded at the prices they charge. I think you can get equivalent coaching for much less through other channels, and with probably much the same results (Assuming a dedicated athlete. No coach can get production out of the unmotivated).

John

I know that they have a lot of performance data from all 3 disciplines. Maybe that is the patent? Or the the whole system itself? I don't know. I can't comment on the higher end plans as I've aways had the bronze level. You could probably call the head guy and ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to a number of their webinars, and as a certified coach with 32 yrs in the sport I can say that I thought it was mostly a marketing job. Good for them if they can get those prices, but what they were hyping was nothing more than a good coach will get you for much less, with better communication. They aligned themselves with a number of high profile coaches, some who I feel are good, but it seemed way too much smoke and mirrors to me. There is little as far as "secrets" to getting someone to achieve dramatic results. BS to me....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should probably just keep my mouth shut..... but that's not how I usually roll.

Honestly, I don't fully understand their structure. So as mentioned, until your at Gold Level, B races are ignored in your annual training plan? How is training customized if you don't factor in every race, vacation, injury, limitation conflict, etc. I guess a lot of the things I consider automatic and optional in this structure.

I think you always have to watch for coaches dropping canned plans and just tweaking them based on you threshold paces and scheduling and time limitations. That's not a truly customized training plan. I'm not saying that's what happening here. But that's what I interpret from their chart.

It is a very nice website, with what appears to be quite a few formalized training tools and access to information and resources. It also reminds me of a brochure for buying a car. That's good and bad.

I think you select a coach based on their results, their coaching philosophy, you level of trust in their abilities and how they communicate.

I'm not a big fan of time commitments either. I understand that they can be part of doing business. But coaching is about building relationships. If a client isn't happy, then I've failed, or they aren't a good match, and they are free to pursue other options. You always take some risk up front that a client might not stick around.

I won't say much else. Our plans aren't all that much cheaper and only vary based on frequency of formal communication, evaluation of progress and plan changes. So there's more value in lower tiers, but you get a less customized weekly plan or are on your own to make adjustments.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Dec 9, 14 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking at 700-900$ per month you could get Joel Filliol, Sutton, or Lance Watson. All coaches with Olympic/WC achievements.

Variable communication based on price raises a red flag for me, If you are serious look for a coach who doesn't limit communication. Also limited review of files on the lower programs.

Not sure about the patent pending training program, IE that to me looks like more of an algorithmic review of workouts based on a theory/idea that applies across a wide group of people. When looking at a coach you need them to look at your (individual) efforts, I could be wrong though I have no idea what a patent pending training system looks like.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a lot of people don't realize is that it's really not that hard to get a patent these days. It's kinda funny the patent ideas I hear from people just so they can say they have a patent. It also doesn't help that the people reviewing the patents at the USPTO aren't the sharpest tools in the shed either.

I see this patent as more of a marketing scheme than anything else.

I think the most ridiculous thing I saw on their website (tri dot) is they are restricting reviewing hr and power data unless you pay 800 bucks. If you aren't doing that after every workout, you aren't a coach.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is everybody saying Tridot is $800/month?!

Their most expensive plan is $199/month.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smallard wrote:
Why is everybody saying Tridot is $800/month?!

Their most expensive plan is $199/month.

Because this is a 3 1/2 year old thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [smallard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly!! Very outdated.

I am currently subscribed to their program and it is a huge asset to my training. Big gains over the last year and a half. Can’t wait for this season to get started!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a subscriber myself and have been very happy with it. I have tried the free plans, canned plans that I paid for, etc, and I have gotten faster and stronger in all 3 areas and only been using TriDot for 4 months and have not put in nearly the # of hours as I did training for my last 70.3 and feel more prepared and less risk of injury. I have gotten my 5K time almost a minute faster to sub 20' in the 4 months I have been using it and don't use the full $199 per month coaching option
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [gsutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A four year old thread gets bumped with new praises of their service. I'm sure this wasn't coordinated at all.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are always skeptics.

I am just glad to have connected with someone else who subscribes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies - I was the "bumper" and didn't notice the date on the thread (I just searched the forum for "tridot")

I have no relationship with Tridot, other than as a potential customer - I had no evil intent!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Dot training [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayjuno wrote:

I'm not skeptical of the training program. I'm skeptical of the coincidental nature of the last few posts.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, I understand. No coincidence from my end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Jayjuno wrote:

I'm not skeptical of the training program. I'm skeptical of the coincidental nature of the last few posts.

What, so somebody can't do a search for a topic and post on it because its old? What does it matter to you? The program is still relevant
Last edited by: gsutriguy: Mar 25, 18 10:28
Quote Reply