Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone ride mt bikes on trails at night ?
Quote | Reply
I just got my mt bike fitted back up and ready for some night time trail riding. I live in the woods in maine with miles and miles of snowmobile trails right off my land, and it is getting pretty cold on the road bike so figured the mt bike is the logical alternative at this time. I further figured that I would take advantage of headlights since the sun sets at approx 4:15 PM this week. First, I've never spent time on off road on my mt bike. Second, I've never utilized lights on a bike, and third, all the trails around my house are unfamiliar. Anybody on here ever rode on trails at night and have advice?

At the very least, I will really shock the new neighbors in my area I guess . . .
Quote Reply
Re: anyone ride mt bikes on trails at night ? [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it!

I would recommend a head mounted light as a first purchase. It's nice to have light where you want to be going rather than where your bike is pointing. I bought a bar mount first and it wasn't long before I got the head lamp (although having both is nice to) You will find that you are very focused on the trail in front of you rather than stuff on the edges (I was as fast or faster on night laps in 24hr races) as well.

Lastly, I always have a mini-mag light with electrical tape around it in my camel back in case the battery dies or if you should crash and break your lights, you can tape the mag light to your helmet as back up or to find your battery/light/cable in the leaves. ;)

oh, and have fun. :)
Quote Reply
Re: anyone ride mt bikes on trails at night ? [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KDM has some great points...I do night mtb rides about 5 times a week during the winter and it is a blast! I bring a thermos of coffee or soup and use studded tires on my bike, they are a bit heavier but they are definitely worth it. If you don't want to buy studded tires you can actually make our own, that's what I did last year. Also, there are ways you can conserve battery juice, when we ride there is usually a large group so you can conserve your light, especially on a bright moon-lit night. If your batteries die you definitely need a back-up light, I use an LED headlamp, I stick it in my Camelbak just in case.
Quote Reply