Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roberts, anti-women [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say that both parents outside the home is a disturbing trend.

I don't know that it is so much a trend as it is a necessity. I'd love to be free to be just mom. Most families require 2 incomes just to get by. I happen to be a single parent, luckily I have an education and a decent income that can support us......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the two incomes to get by?

I would suspect that spending on the "nice to haves" instead of the "must haves" is the cause of needing dual incomes.

It's done on one income but takes discipline and sacrifice to make it work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also seen a lot of studies by various folks that show that that "second income" usually brings in far less than it appears - and can even be a net COST to the family...

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Roberts, anti-women [TwinDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard the same as well. The cost of daycare takes most of the second income and the quality of that care is inferior.

Alot of the problems we're seeing in children these days is due to parents not wanting to be "parents" to their children.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think hell (if i believed in sucha place) just froze over, I agree with Brian!!!!

"I would suspect that spending on the "nice to haves" instead of the "must haves" is the cause of needing dual incomes"
Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you dont like the man you attack his wife? Not even the mafia would mess with families. If you have issues with him attack him, not his family.

"Have you seen the way that dude dresses his kids and the stepford robot he's married to?"
Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So why do I like you so much in some posts, and get so annoyed with other posts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suspect that spending on the "nice to haves" instead of the "must haves" is the cause of needing dual incomes.

Where I live the cost of living is high, median income rather low. Food and Housing (I consider those "must haves") are enough to break the bank.....kj

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really need food?

My 6 year is rather adamant about eating. And for some reason she thinks she should have shoes that don't make her feet hurt because they are too small. The housing thing is all me though, she would be happy camping, I require a roof over my head and bed to sleep in.......kj

Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey...you haven't dusted off the Monk alias in quite a while. Welcome back.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bought her shoes? Well there's your problem - all that money wasted on needless luxuries.

Not just one pair either, she even has soccer cleats. Like we're the Hiltons or something....kj

Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you dont like the man you attack his wife? Not even the mafia would mess with families. If you have issues with him attack him, not his family.

"Have you seen the way that dude dresses his kids and the stepford robot he's married to?"
I don't think she reads slowtwitch.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure if push came to shove and people truly looked at their budgets a majority of them would find that it's possible to get by on one income. I'm not saying it's easy but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it for the child's development.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The average cost for a 2 bedroom apt here is $1300. Milk is $7/gallon (although it usually can be purchased on sale for less), bread is $4-5. Gas is pushing $4/gallon. The wages here to do not cover that. Many families are living paycheck to paycheck hovering just above the poverty line. A lot of people here resort to living with extended families. Like I said, I am the sole surviving parent of my daughter, therefor we have no choice but to get by on what I make. I make about twice what my best friends from high school make. Had I not gotten an education I would be in bad shape............kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Milk is $7/gallon (although it usually can be purchased on sale for less), bread is $4-5.

Not saying anything about your situation or what you should be doing, but HOLY FREAKING CRAP those are some expensive groceries. Milk = $2 something at Costco and I could probably find bread under $1 a loaf. This is in suburban Chicago.
Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of shopping at Costco. Here in Hawaii we pay more for everything. I lived in CO for 10 years, when I moved back here a few years ago I had forgotten how much groceries cost here. Talk about sticker shock.......kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh Hawaii. Makes sense now.
Quote Reply
Re: Roberts, anti-women [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump>

Hey Vitus, you have the chance to contribute something meaningful from your own experience (and possibly shake a few prejudices while you're at it). Don't be shy. Tell us about what led you to full-time parenting, and what it has meant for you. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.
Quote Reply

Prev Next