Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newdow: He's baaack...
Quote | Reply
If nothing else, the man is smart and determined.

September 14, 2005

Judge: School Pledge Is Unconstitutional By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 3:00 p.m. ET

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A federal judge declared the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools unconstitutional Wednesday in a case brought by the same atheist whose previous battle against the words ''under God'' was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court on procedural grounds.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled that the pledge's reference to one nation ''under God'' violates school children's right to be ''free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.''

Karlton said he was bound by precedent of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which in 2002 ruled in favor of Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow that the pledge is unconstitutional when recited in public schools.

The Supreme Court dismissed the case last year, saying Newdow lacked standing because he did not have custody of his elementary school daughter he sued on behalf of.

Newdow, an attorney and a medical doctor, filed an identical case on behalf of three unnamed parents and their children. Karlton said those families have the right to sue.

Karlton, ruling in Sacramento, said he would sign a restraining order preventing the recitation of the pledge at the Elk Grove Unified, Rio Linda and Elverta Joint Elementary school districts, where the plaintiffs' children attend.

The decision sets up another showdown over the pledge in schools, at a time when the makeup of the Supreme Court is in flux.

Wednesday's ruling comes as Supreme Court nominee John Roberts faces day three of his confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee. He would succeed the late William H. Rehnquist as chief justice.

Sandra Day O'Connor stepped down unexpectedly from the Supreme Court in July.

The Becket Fund, a religious rights group that is a party to the case, said it would immediately appeal the case to the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. If the court does not change its precedent, the group would go to the Supreme Court.

''It's a way to get this issue to the Supreme Court for a final decision to be made,'' said fund attorney Jared Leland.

Newdow, reached at his home, was not immediately prepared to comment.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Sep 14, 05 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Newdow: He's baaack... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What is it with you libs:)? Do you, mopdahl, matt and DualFual have some kind of hot line to these kinds of things? It hasn't been up 15 minutes and almost all of you have opined on it already.

As for him being smart. Thats debateable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Karlton, ruling in Sacramento, said he would sign a restraining order preventing the recitation of the pledge at the Elk Grove Unified, Rio Linda and Elverta Joint Elementary school districts, where the plaintiffs' children attend.

[/reply]

Rio Linda ... oh, man. Rush is going to have a FIELD DAY with this one...

:)

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Newdow: He's baaack... [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
didn't you know that liberals have a psychic hotline to the liberal media? it's one of the perks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't opined.

And as for being in touch with the issues of the day, its called reading the newspaper. We liberals take pride in being well informed....we were the people that knew there were 30,000 refugees in the New Orleans Convention Center 4 days before the President found out about them.

Reading newspapers can sometimes be beneficial. As Michael Brown, I bet he's wishing he was a little more up to speed on current events.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

What is it with you libs:)? Do you, mopdahl, matt and DualFual have some kind of hot line to these kinds of things? It hasn't been up 15 minutes and almost all of you have opined on it already.

As for him being smart. Thats debateable.

I should be so smart. Pretty good background:

High School: Teaneck High School, Teaneck, NJ (1970)
University: BS Biology, Brown University (1974)
Medical School: University of California at Los Angeles (1978)
Law School: JD, University of Michigan (1988)

He's a practicing ER physician who was able to effectively (albeit unsuccessfully) argue before the US Supreme Court.

Funny you should use the word "debatable" (check spelling, too): From Time Magazine in their Performance of the Week of 4/5/2004:

Arguing before the Supreme Court that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance violates the separation of church and state, DR. MICHAEL NEWDOW did a pretty good job for a nonpracticing lawyer. The physician and atheist, who brought the original suit (a California court ruled in his favor), sparred ably with the Justices and even drew applause at one point--before Chief Justice William Rehnquist threatened to clear the courtroom.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Newdow: He's baaack... [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't opined.

Not true. On another thread but same topic you posted:)
Last edited by: armytriguy: Sep 14, 05 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should use the word "debatable" (check spelling, too):

I was in a hurry and didn't spell check. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I haven't opined.

Not true. On another thred but same topic you posted:)

It was at the time.

Now I have opined.

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
we were the people that knew there were 30,000 refugees in the New Orleans Convention Center
Over stating once again Matt? Come on this is the third time today. The Higest I heard was an estimate of 25K. And most of the numbers I have heard since were far less.

I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's true. He reminds me of you.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Newdow: He's baaack... [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The highest figure I heard was 40,000, I erred on the side of caution.

Nice but of equivocation....does it really matter if it was 25,000 or 30,000??? what matters is that the only two people who didn't know they were there were the head of FEMA and the President of the UNited States because apparently neither of them reads a newspaper or watches the news.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Nice but of equivocation....does it really matter if it was 25,000 or 30,000??? what matters is that the only two people who didn't know they were there were the head of FEMA and the President of the UNited States because apparently neither of them reads a newspaper or watches the news.

That is not the point and has been discussed on other threads. The point is you thrown around inflated numbers routinely to make a point. Why do you feel the need to lie to make you points? is it because your points are weak and you need to bolster them with falsehoods?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"the head of FEMA and the President of the UNited States because apparently neither of them reads a newspaper or watches the news"

which part is false?

;)

Quote Reply
Re: Newdow: He's baaack... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"the head of FEMA and the President of the UNited States because apparently neither of them reads a newspaper or watches the news"

which part is false?

;)
re-read the thread and try again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lighten up, Francis

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since were are dealing with the topic of the Establishment clause and mixing it with something altogether different, let's consider for a moment the quotes of the author of the Establishment and Free Exercise Clause:

I do not take a single newspaper, nor read one a month, and I feel myself infinitely the happier for it. Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. Thomas Jefferson
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
Last edited by: Al P Duez: Sep 14, 05 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

That is not the point and has been discussed on other threads. The point is you thrown around inflated numbers routinely to make a point. Why do you feel the need to lie to make you points? is it because your points are weak and you need to bolster them with falsehoods?

the number is not inflated, and you routinely quibble about minor details to hijack threads and steer debate away from positions you can't hold.

This is a pretty standard Rovian tactic....

Q. "why did the White House not know about the 30,000 people stranded in the Convention Center for almost a week?"

A. " LIAR LIAR...THERE WERE ONLY 25,000 PEOPLE THERE...THIS GUY IS A LIAR!!! LIAR LIAR!!!!.....next question please, and will someone throw that liar out of the room...you, the gentleman from Talon Press."

Q. "I hear the President had a birdie on the 3rd at Winged Foot last week, any truth to these rumors?"

John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Sep 14, 05 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I happily take you on word for word. in this case there is no point in re addressing what has already been addressed in other threads, especailly since it is not the topic of the thread at hand. So why is it that you inflate stats and numbers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No I happily take you on word for word. in this case there is no point in re addressing what has already been addressed in other threads, especailly since it is not the topic of the thread at hand. So why is it that you inflate stats and numbers?

I haven't inflated the stats they are the stats that were quoted on TV many times.

Why do you keep diverting the topic?

Afraid to answer the question??? How come FEMA and the President didn't know about the tens of thousands of people in the convention center for 4 days when their plight was being widely reported on TV and in print?

(happy now?)

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I haven't inflated the stats they are the stats that were quoted on TV many times.

Why do you keep diverting the topic?

Afraid to answer the question??? How come FEMA and the President didn't know about the tens of thousands of people in the convention center for 4 days when their plight was being widely reported on TV and in print?

(happy now?)
Can you read? If so do you read what i write? No wonder brian gets so angry with you it's like talking to a wall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you're not going to answer the question then???

Instead you proceed to Rovian tactic #2 when cornered....after one's quibbling about minor details is exposed, proceed post haste to insulting the inquisitor's intelligence.

I'm starting to feel like John McCain in North Carolina.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, that's what O'Reilly says. Are you a fan of the Factor?