Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This whole issue looks like you are supplanting a bunch of crazy women (the protestors) for all women who breastfeed. Do you have the same visceral reaction to anti abortion protestors who walk around with pictures of piles of dead fetuses, or animal rights activists that have huge signs of animals killed for fur or throw paint on people's clothes?

Leave the kooks for the kooks no one can really explain why they do what they do and leave the normal people free to do as they see fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See, now you're just teasing us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're totally wrong kittycat. I think the sit-ins are necessary in order to raise public awareness of the situation. There is no reason at all why a woman breastfeeding her baby in a Starbucks should be asked to leave. What if that had been a black woman in the 60's who was told she couldn't be served because she was black and the company refused to change their policy? If several dozen black people held a sit-in at Starbucks everyone would be all for it. Public protest is needed in situations like this or else these companies won't change. It's only because of people who are willing to make these kinds of demands that we women have half the freedoms that we now have - including breastfeeding in public if we choose to.

I do not understand how you can say breastfeeding is repulsive and compare it to someone taking a cr*p on the side of the road. Honestly, that is just a point of view I cannot understand. Nothing is more natural and there is nothing there that should repulse you. A baby is being fed. End of story.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amy- i respect you and your opinion, but i can tell you that i'm not the only person in the world who doesn't want to have breast feeding shoved in my face at every turn. and as an entrepruener, i don't appreciate the tactics some groups are taking to bring about more acceptance. besides, there are children that nurse until 4 years old. who here wants to see a 4 year old standing up sucking on mother's tit. not me.

i don't want to continue debating the points so i'll end my thoughts by saying that in today's world and in regards to nursing there are more positive ways to bring about acceptance, awareness and change. by going about it negatively and shoving it in people's faces, it's more likely to result in resentment, feelings of threat, and negativity as opposed to acceptance, awareness, openness, pro-activity and positive feelings. it's just simply the wrong tactic and will be counter-productive.

and lastly, to compare nursing to the black movement only minimizes what blacks have endured and accomplished up to this point.
Last edited by: kittycat: Sep 14, 05 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First breastfeeding has been an accepted practice in every society since the beginning of mankind. Now you have decided that it should be kept out of your sight. I don't think that is a very enlightened position to take.

Second, I think a lot of your issues are inter-related. I think you are trying to justify your decision to pursue your career and not start a family by coming up with ridiculous opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it minimizes the black movement at all and I think it's a silly argument to say so. I'm just trying to point out that you don't have a problem with this the type of protest, as long as you agree with the cause.

Dawn

P.S. Also, it would be nice if you could get my name right! :(
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and unfortuntely most rarely take the time to search out the actual study.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second, I think a lot of your issues are inter-related. I think you are trying to justify your decision to pursue your career and not start a family by coming up with ridiculous opinions.

sure they are. you're totally right. it has nothing to do with anything but this. you're a genius. my high powered career has left an empty hole in me so i have issues. *yawn*.

i can't believe you'd support staged nurse ins, especially when there are much better solutions out there. LOL!!!!!

and, how did you feel when i suggested areas in malls where women can sit down peacefully in nice chairs and breast feed? maybe the answers are about being more accomodating on a grand scale, having more innovative ideas of inclusion for breast feeding/young families, and so on. no, i don't think 30 breast feeding women protesting is going to create the changes our society needs. but i believe there are plenty of changes that need to be made.

what are you enlightened ideas, by the way?
Last edited by: kittycat: Sep 16, 05 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O.k.....it took me waaaaayyy too long to get that! LOL.....

I think I need more coffee........

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kittycat - there are a lot of battles in the world to fight. I don't know why you chose this one. I could see if you were a nursing mother and you had your own breastfeeding problems, but what's next? Shelters for orphaned baby deers? Wireless laptops for the homeless? Funerals for wild animals hit by cars? I know you are trying to make a difference in the world and thats great, but I think you are going to worry yourself to death if you keep on focusing on the problems in the world. Even Jesus only healed a few blind people's eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even Jesus only healed a few blind people's eyes.

i appreciate that, and find that to be one of the most revealing and brilliant things that's ever been said to me. i'll never forget it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, great thread. Glad I can spend 80hrs/wk on this stuff and then see it on my ST...COME ON!!! ;-) This is my one place to hide for a few minutes. Everybody take-a-deep-breath....now, you make go back to suckling.....
Geesh!
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, we've got our own ObGyn on board? Why didn't you say so? We've got *so* many questions for you!! :D
Quote Reply
Re: Breast feeding maniacs [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here I am...fire away! ;-)
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even Jesus only healed a few blind people's eyes.

i appreciate that, and find that to be one of the most revealing and brilliant things that's ever been said to me. i'll never forget it.

no problem - lots more where that came from!
Quote Reply

Prev Next