Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Germany in December
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be spending 2-3 weeks in Germany in December for work and I'd like to take my bike with me.

Anyone know what the weather is like in Stuttgart in December? If it's going to snow more than a few inches, I'll bring my mtn bike instead.

Thanks!

-Jay in SL, MI
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Germany in December [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay

below the 1961-1990 statistics for December:
average temperature: +1.5°C
days with icy roads: 6
days with frosty weather: 14.8
rain/snow volume: less than average

Regards, Dirk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jay,

Stuttgart in December - probably no snow, if it snows, it;s probably less than 1 inch. In the city itself it's unlikely that snow will actually stay. (Having said that, it will probably be just the opposite this year...:)
I go back there every x-mas, and it's usually cold and rainy - but i've been spoiled by CA weather..... I just run or swim while i'm there. If i were to bring a bike, i;d probably choose the mnt bike.

Hope this helps!
Viel Spass in Stuttgart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We lived in Germany for 3 yrs...

It's freakin' cold in DEC!!!!!

If you're lucky it will ONLY be COLD, and not COLD AND WET....

Definately bring the MTB. They are usually easier to ride than road bikes are one too many hefe wisen...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my dad was in the Royal Canadian Air Force, we were stationed in Germany on a NATO base for most of my teenage years. Only been back once since as an adult, but as I remember Germany, snow is very rare but expect it to be cold and damp. You'll need to dress warm when cycling. Be sure to bring rain gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jay,

it might be a mild and sunny December and it might also be a cold and snowy/rainy December. All is possible over here in Germany. While the October was not a good month for biking here in Germany the November is perfect now. Very sunny, no rain at all since Nov. 1st till Nov 9th. I'll probably ride a lot next weekend. But, of course you'll need good winter clothing. Today it has about 10 degrees celsius at noon in northern Bavaria.

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Germany in December [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Frank,

Where in Bavaria are you? I just moved in to Nürnberg and I'm trying to get started with a road team. All the rad wegs and regulations and "bike aware" traffic are quite strange at first sight, coming from the other side of the world.
If possible drop me a line offline: rwickert AT plugin DOT com DOT br

Gruße,

Rick

Ricardo Wickert | Team Magnesium Pur - Germany | My sporadically updated blog: The Thin Grad Line | My team-issued TT bike: Trek Speed Concept 9

2015 Sponsors & Partners: Magnesium Pur | Ullmax | B&W Bike Cases | Ristorante La Dolce Vita | Trek Bikes via Bici-Sport Binder
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Germany in December [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold is good! I'm used to riding in Michigan until the snow/ice makes me switch to a mtb. :) I don't even mind the wet - just don't want the ice or the snow. I can handle being uncomfortable, just don't want to break anything.

Thanks for the tips.

-J in SL
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Germany in December [wickert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Hi Frank,

Where in Bavaria are you? I just moved in to Nürnberg and I'm trying to get started with a road team. All the rad wegs and regulations and "bike aware" traffic are quite strange at first sight, coming from the other side of the world.
If possible drop me a line offline: rwickert AT plugin DOT com DOT br

Gruße,

Rick [/reply]

Hi Rick,

I'm in Roth (ex-Ironman Europe location) just 25 kilometers south of Nuernberg. If you want to do the bike split of Quelle Challenge Roth next sunday just mail me ...

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply