Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicycle headlight recommendations
Quote | Reply
Now that it's getting dark so early, does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced bicycle headlight?

And out of curiosity, what are you all using as a tail-light?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle headlight recommendations [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on how much you'll be riding in the dark and what you feel is reasonable. I find myself not riding in the dark much, but something is better than nothing.

I currently use a Cateye HL-EL110 single LED that cost about $20, runs for 300 hours on 4 AA batteries and just barely makes a difference, but keeps the police at bay with their calls of "get a light for your bike!" As for a taillight, I like the VistaLite Super Nebula 5 at $15. Lot's of features and a setpost mount or a clip that works with my mini saddle pack.

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on what you consider "reasonably priced" most of the lights that I have seen or tried are completely inadequate for riding at any speed above 15 mph, they just don't give off enough light for me to be comfortable. The best commercially available options are the HID headlights, but I don't consider these to be reasonably priced. I have a light that I have home built from an old NightSun housing with twin headlights, a 20 watt low beam and a 50 watt high beam, and I still feel iffy at speeds above 25 mph. YMMV on this, but I like to see far down the road and not be surprized by something in the road without a chance to react to it.

For a taillight I use two 9-LED auxillary brake lights from off of my motorcycle and 2 flashing Vista Lights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any flashing LED tailight will suffice, I have the Cateye TL-LD 600 which looks like a space ship landing. For a headlight, I think you need at least 10 watts, but 15 will probably work out better. FWIW, I have the Cygolite Explorer Nicad (I think it retails for ~ $100), which has a 15w narrow beam, and a 10w wide beam, and I can ride technical single track with it, or feel totally comfortable on 45mph roads with no street lights. Charging sucks though b/c it takes 15-17 hours. The more expensive units charge in < 4 hours. The HID variety of headlights cost upwards of $400. Welcome to daylight "savings".

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated, any good LED tail light.

Up front, I use a NiteRider Trail Rat on the bars and an older NiteRider HeadTrip on the helmet. That's for off road riding. They are both 10 watts and give 2-2.5 hours of run time, but take forever to charge. They were both about $100. I wouldn't hesitate to use either for road riding since there are so many fewer obstacles, and on the roads, you probably only need a helmet or bar mount. Off road it's nice to have the bar mount for spotting right in front of the bike and the helmet mount for scanning in front of you.

Check some of the mountain bike forums to find out what most people use. The HID lights, ~$400 or so, are fast becoming the standard.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle headlight recommendations [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah as far as HID goes, I just got the Niterider Storm---which is HID and helmet mount. I also got their tailight as well-----which they say is daytime visible---and it is, the led's in the tailight are super bright.

Ofcourse this set up was way pricey----but i get 4 hours of super bright white light and only a 3.5 hr recharge time.

jeremyb

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle headlight recommendations [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put togeather a light using 12V Makita Nimh battery and a 10w low voltage bulb. The bulb just fits in a 1.250 inch pvc adaptor.I got a switch and put the battery in a watter bottle caage. I love the one hour charge.
Go team dollar store. Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycle headlight recommendations [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody tried the CASTELLI Arm band light??

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/...6,665&TextMode=0

steady or blinking modes and visible for 1mile

looks like it would work great for running also

Jim
Quote Reply