Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone use the new Thule Round Trip Transition, that loads from the top? I just got one to replace the old Thule because the thought of boxing my new SC was not good. I like the stand that comes with the new one too. Will be traveling with it for the first time next weekend so we'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did the travel go with the Thule?
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was great. I didnt remove the rear derailleur. Just used a chain tension device and removed the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
What would you choose with the following five criteria in mind:

1) Bike protection is of the utmost concern
2) See #1
3) See #1 and #2
4) Ease of bike reassembly (I'm pretty handy with a bike wrench)
5) Ease of travel

The Scicon AeroTech Evolution seems to be the only one that jumps out at me.

So I ended up purchasing the Scicon Aerocomfort Triathlon bag a year ago. Real nice bag and the couple of trips so far were just fine. Problem is that my size M Dimond, which is basically a size L or 56 from other manufacturers, required a bit of disassembly to get it to fit in the bag. My brother has a size 56 Felt and all he had to do was remove the wheels, which is required. Same with my previous bike which was a size L Trek Speed Concept. For the Dimond, I had to remove the wheels, the seat/seat post, aerobar extensions, and RD because the RD was sort of exposed and not super protected. I'm pretty good with a wrench so this basic disassemble/reassemble is no biggie but the main advantage to this case (ease and convenience) really doesn't apply to my bike. In addition, the way the beam rises causes quite a vulnerability if the case were to fall upside down and the top of beam were to take a direct hit. So seeing as though I need to take off seat post and extensions anyway I might as well go with the hard case Evolution. PBK has it on sale for $670.

Looked into the BikeBoxAlan as well but ordering from the USA seemed like a chore. Plus I need it in 4 weeks and there was zero guarantee I could get the BBA by then.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Aug 26, 16 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Cobble wrote:
How about the Armored Hen House?

"Armored" is not quite accurate. It's still a soft case with some plastic shit in the liner. It also requires too much disassembly and reassembly. Removing the forks on my Trek SC 9-series is a pain in the ass. I can and have done it but I don't want to deal with that if I can avoid it. It also counts as three bags (bike and two wheel bags). Sure, you might skirt the bike fee but you're paying for two or three bag fees, which is still cheaper than a bike fee, but hardly free.

I thought the wheels were in a single bag?

I'm still looking at this option. probably go non armored.... though having wheels would be nice. We travel with our daughter.... so we have a spare bag available.

So the only difference is more padding to install and remove the RD and fork? On my SC 7 series, that's not bad at all.

Yeah 2 wheels in one bag. And I put my tools and wetsuit in there also. And that "plastic shit" is pretty tough - you aren't going to get puncture damage, and the chance of crushing damage is the same as anything else that's plastic (like a Trico case).

And if you're taking the headset off, the fork is just another 2 minutes unless you have a difficult front brake to deal with.

But yeah you will be checking 2 bags. Overall I've found it to be a good tradeoff for me. Maybe not for everyone. I have a P4 56 and I don't think a 58 would fit in this bag without removing the crank. (for anyone considering it).
Last edited by: spudone: Aug 26, 16 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm bringing it up because I just ordered a Scicon Aerotech Evolution hard case on PBK for about $500. I was about to get a Biknd Helium V4, but stumbled across this deal and couldn't resist. It'll be used for my trip to IM Norway in June. https://www.probikekit.com/...e-case/11761476.html

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the new Scicon Aerocomfort Tri for 3 multiple stop trips. It's incredibly wonderful not to have to break down/rebuild my bike. It's far better than the Biknd Helium that kept breaking in endlessly new places. The only problem I have with the Scicon is that CDN security and TSA don't always reconnect the straps.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [nickvas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the Thule Round Trip Transition and it works awesome so the stand.

This is one of the better options nowadays since all the soft cases tend to be forbidden by all the airlines. I just came from Europe and all the companies ask me for a hard-shell case...so be ready for that. I believe that LAX already doesn't allow soft cases.

With this case you don't have to tear your bike down and it protects it really good. I usually add some cushion, pool floats and pool noodles and no issues so far. Special mention to the way you open it and the traps, which help A LOT when it comes to the careless TSA guys who doesn't give a crap about what is inside the case or its value!
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size TT bike do you have and how does it go fitting into this case?
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a traveled with a M speed concept, a 56 CAAD10, and a 56 CAADX. They all fit, but the CAADX was a PITA because it was a 53T big ring that maxed out the width of the bag. Also, I have to take the lid of my draft box of my speed concept for it to close normally.

Nevertheless, that bag has been AMAZING. I bought my GF one, too. No problems so far with at least 10 flights.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want protection you must go rigid case, forget any soft cases.

Of the rigid cases I cannot say enough good things about the bikeboxalan - I have 3 of them for my road and TT bikes - never had a problem.

Best thing is you can fit two of these (plus 1-2 suitcases) in the smallest hatchback - means you save a ton of money on car rentals at your destination - some other rigid boxes are bigger and so will only fit in a much bigger (and more expensive) rental car.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to choose one bike travel case... [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an "L" sized BMC TM01 (58cm) frame. According to the Scicon site, the dimensions of this bike will fit the Aero Eco TSA X box. My question is my aerobars...I have a Zipp Vuka front end with 50mm risers and 70mm aerobar extension. Will I need to dismantle the cockpit even after removing and folding the HBs down?
Quote Reply

Prev Next