Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How good is the P3
Quote | Reply
First off, please understand that I am not trying to start a flame war. Basically, I was just offered a left over new 2003 P3 at a considerable discount. I am very tempted, and my current ride is basically mixed and matched pieced together parts. I like the bike fine, and it serves it's purpose. Anyway, I was just curious on P3 owners' thoughts on the bike, and how it differs/how it is better than what they used to ride. I kind of need justification to make such a huge purchase. Thanks for the help.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John,

The first question is fit, not good deal. Mine fits perfectly, I think, and so I love it. I have had many bikes over my 20+ years of Tris and the P3 is by far my favorite!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like David I think the most important isuue is Fit. It could be the greatest bike in the world, but if it doesn't fit it's worthless. With that said, everyone I know who has a Cervelo is really happy with them & they seem like a great company to deal with. In fact I know friends that have Cervelo's and some actually prefer the Pk2 over the P3 (& it's not a money issue, they could afford either), but I think again that it has to do with the fit. It seems like taller lankier people end up liking the P3 fit better, while medium to short build prefer the Pk2. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, if it fits go for it, if not don't!
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had both the P2K and the P3,I will say they are both the best tri bikes I have been on. I am 5 10 185 pounds and ride a 55 P3 currently, and I can not say enough good about it. I wanted to buy the best tri bike I could and rode everthing out on the market, the bike that was the most comfortable for me was the Cervelo tri bikes. The P3 happen to fit me well also, if the bike fits, I dont think you will be unhappy, and will feel like the price was worth it....

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It seems like taller lankier people end up liking the P3 fit better, while medium to short build prefer the Pk2. Any thoughts on that?

I believe that the P2K and P3 have the geometry and "fit," don't they? A quick look at the chart on the web site it appears that all angles and dimensions are the same. I believe there is an optical illusion of a longer top tube on the P3, but that shouldn't affect fit:-).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Let me at it [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How good is the p3?

Only as good as the engine.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How good is the P3? Pretty darn good. It is well designed and well made. The "genius" of the design comes in three ways:

1. It is pretty aerodynamic (I am told).

2. It rides comfortably. So comfortable in fact it is a little surprising.

3. For the bike shop owner, it is a blessing, whereas many bikes have a very narrow "fit band" in that they will only only accomodate a very narrow range of positions and body dimensions, the P3's "fit band" is much wider. Along with the P2K, it is the longest of any bike in the triathlon industry, bar none. How does Gerard do it? I asked him n person: "How can you ride a P3 at 80 degrees and it is comfortable and stable and handles well and then set the same frame up at 74 degrees and it is also pretty good?" He said, "If I told you, everyone would do it."

The P3 is versatile, comfortable, aerodynamic and mechanically dependable. Over the last four years I would say it is one of the top three triathlon bikes available from anyone.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How good is the P3 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a P2k last May, and have ridden it extensively since then (2 1/2 IM's and a bunch of rides around 100 miles). The workmanship is excellent. The design, execution and components are excellent. I am self fit on my P2k, and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. It seems like the P2k/P3 will fit the majority of triathletes. I assume that all of the above are valid for the P3.
Quote Reply