Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why am I so HAPPY?
Quote | Reply
Well boys and girls, there is lots of crap going on in my life but I just can't stop being so bloody HAPPY!!!! I'm pretty anal retentive by nature and alot of people think I'm pretty miserable much of the time (even my wife thinks that) but I really AM happy. Sure I'd like a better house, car and especially BIKE, just like everyone else, but I find that I'm insanely happy most of the time these days. Maybe I'm actually insane? Hmmmm

Anyway, I've been paying attention to what brings me joy and I've narrowed it down to one thing.

I commute to work by bike.

It's only 12 km, about 25 minutes with traffic (I stop for red lights)., but it's enough to make me happy. I live on the North Shore of Auckland in New Zealand and it's great. I don't mean your first kiss great, or I won a Porsche great, but a wholesome kind of warmth you feel, kind of greatness.

Anyway, I start from my sleepy little dead end street, on a slight downhill, onto another dead end street and onto a bike/walking path for a few hundred metres. I pass an elderly Asian dude doing his Tai Chi and we smile at each other. I then wind my way down a few sleepy streets to a semi main road for a while. Through a small town centre with a few shops and off to "Poser Mile" where all the rich people live and jog in the morning, around Lake Pupuke, a deep clear volcanic crater. I get glimpses between houses of the Hauraki Gulf where we lost the Americas Cup last summer. A view of the lava flow volcano in the Gulf (Rangitoto Is.) and into the larger town centre of Takapuna. I miss the traffic by darting down a small side street and riding beside the beach for a minute.

THIS is the best part of my day! Regardless of the weather, I love this spot. I see people walking their dogs, jogging on the beach, launching theiri boats from the ramp etc. I see the waves at the shore and I am happy with the world! Not even work can screw me over after a view of Takapuna beach. Unbelieveable.

On summer weekends I do my long open water swims at Taka' beach. If it's rough with an easterly wind it's great fun in the rough conditions. I hum Hawaii 5-0 theme song in my head and try not to ingest too much sea water as I grin my way through the waves. If it's flat I think of a long smooooooth stroke and a fast swim time. Awesome.

Riding by Taka' beach always makes me happy and envious that I'd rather be swimming there than finishing my ride to work. Next it's along Lake rd to the quaint and sleepy seaside village of Devonport where I lived until recently. I join the line of Navy personnel heading to Devo and cruise up and down a few rolling hills to the Ferry to the city for work. The ferry is always on time and is a relaxing way to get across the harbour to Auckland City. It's only 8 minutes on the water but the gentle motion of the boat and company of my cycling and non-cylcing ferry friends is aways a high point of my day. The other evening the ferry Captain slowed downteh ferry so we call all watch the Orcas swimming in the harbour. Pretty effin' cool I'd say. (I've seen dolphins a bunch of times but this was a first for Orcas)

Just 2 minutes from the ferry to my office and I'm ready to attack the day. There are several other cycle commuters (roadies and trigeek mixture) and we stack our bikes in the back room. Warm, dry, secure bike ready for the ride home.

I sit at my desk and watch the sun pan around the sky, twinkling off the harbour as I watch the boats go to and fro from my 7th floor office. Far out my life is good. Depending on my schedule I either run around the waterfront at lunchtime, or swim in a nearby pool with a great squad and coach (Haydn Wooley) after work. Then I head home by bike to do it all again tomorrow.

Damn my life is good! How's yours? I hope it's good too but I doubt it's even close to as good a my life!

Love, TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Why am I so HAPPY? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now me happy too. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you man. Due to shortening days, I had to hand up my commuter bike for the winter last week. I'm already growing antsy again.
Last edited by: john: Nov 4, 03 5:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for making other people happy! Made my morning. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said it all right here: "I live on the North Shore of Auckland in New Zealand...."

I think that would make just about anybody here happy....and I'm not complaining about living on the coast of the Northeastern USA, because during the Summer that's pretty good...but it's no Auckland...and it's Summer for you now, correct? (forgive my geographic ignorance if I am wrong)

Cheers,

Keith
Quote Reply