Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steeper angle by moving seat forward?
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a used Griffen Vulcan 55 that was custom built with a 75 degree seat tube angle. Can anyone give a rough estimate how much steeper it can be ridden by moving the seat all the way forward?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Steeper angle by moving seat forward? [dennisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends on what kind of seat it is. Different companies and models have different saddle and rail lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in very general math, forward by 1cm=1degree, also remember to take in the seatpost into account. If it's set back that also lessen's your seat angle. If you want up to 77deg you'll probably need a 0 offset post and if 78 or better you'll need something like a thomson setback post reversed to get you there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like in previous thread, it depends on what saddle you have, because of varying rail lengths. Also depends on what kind of seat post you have, is it straight up, set-back, etc.

But I'll assume your riding at 75* and can move the saddle forward approx. 3.5cm. I'll guess your saddle height is around 75cm from the bottom bracket.

So, that will put you about 77.75*
Quote Reply
Re: Steeper angle by moving seat forward? [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the the reply's. You point out something I never considered. My seatpost head is set back. So even all the way forward my seat center is right above the center of the seat tube. 75 degrees at best. I'll see if I can find a zero offset post and shove the seat forward on that. I'm not able to use a fast forward post as the seat tube is built up taller than stock so the post only sits an inch out of the tube. I suppose I may have to get a longer stem as well to acommodate the forwrd position.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Due to your extended seattube, another option is a Selcof offset post, reverse it like the Thomson and voila 77+deg. Just as Deboom does on his Trek TT.

http://www.msnusers.com/...Documents/deboom.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad news.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Steeper angle by moving seat forward? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, you don't have to go into great detail, but your reply leaves me curious. I fail to see how moving forward a few cm is bad news. I find myself riding on the front of the saddle most often anyway. It just seems I'm just bringing it back under me. I currently use a 110 stem and while it may be o.k. once I move the seat forward. I thought I may need to go to a 120. Am I asking for trouble some how.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Steeper angle by moving seat forward? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bad news. "

Based upon my own personal experimentation with a TCR, for a flat strait out and back course a forward seat post and 78 degrees works fine, with rolling hills and some curves a neutral seat post at 75/76 works better, and for a very hilly, curvy course or group riding, then 73.5 works best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.xtri.com/search.asp?dfSearch=conversion+therapy&select=search.asp&Search=Search

There's a specific answer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To a degree I agree with Tom. I did the same with my Look, but at a lesser degree. Found weight over the front a little too twitchy on my herniated neck, therefore my Saber at 78+ not a problem with weight a little more balanced. Saw quite a few doing it in Kona, Nina, Stadler, Deboom and the last I would have expected to see Widoff. Now that said Kona has no bad ass 50mph+ descends to deal with either. If I had one bike and had to I would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm not able to use a fast forward post as the seat tube is built up taller than stock so the post only sits an inch out of the tube. I suppose I may have to get a longer stem as well to acommodate the forwrd position. "

You might be able to get an M2Racer seatshifter thing in there.
Quote Reply