Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by grumpier.mike [ In reply to ]
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
* Note that when bar end shifters are used, the extensions are measured from the ends of the shifters
and not the pivot bolt. The measurement is taken using an arc made by the shifter, measured in a
horizontal direction. Thus, whether the bars are straight or angled up, the measurement will be the same.

So just to be clear, definitely 80cm (if that's the one that's appropriate for me) to the end of the shifter? Definately to the end of the shifter, no other measurement?
So if I have 10cm long shifter levers, but angle them 180 degrees back from the pivot point towards the headtube, then the pivot point is legal at 90cm? ;)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosferreiro wrote:
* Note that when bar end shifters are used, the extensions are measured from the ends of the shifters
and not the pivot bolt. The measurement is taken using an arc made by the shifter, measured in a
horizontal direction. Thus, whether the bars are straight or angled up, the measurement will be the same.

So just to be clear, definitely 80cm (if that's the one that's appropriate for me) to the end of the shifter? Definately to the end of the shifter, no other measurement?
So if I have 10cm long shifter levers, but angle them 180 degrees back from the pivot point towards the headtube, then the pivot point is legal at 90cm? ;)
In Reply To:

This is the statement that confused me and reading the UCI explanation and e-mailing USAC didn't help because it doesn't clarify the distinction between old-school (index or friction) and RTC shifters.

If you have regular old-school shifters, they moved them to their longest position and measured the total length. My shifter bodies were at slightly less than 75, but when I moved the shift levers to be horizontal to the ground, I had to cut about a cm off the ends to get below the 80cm limit (Campy bar ends are longer than Shimano).

If you had RTC shifters, they measured total length to their longest resting position. If you oriented the shifters straight up or down, the longest point is at the end of the shifter body. If oriented pointing straight ahead, then the length is to the tip of the shifter. Sort of silly because I don't think too many people are going to try hanging onto the shifter. Seems like a recipe for random shifting on any bump.

I ended up putting RTC shifters on my bike about 2 days before the TT because it wasn't clear how the rules would be interpreted. It turned out to be a good idea because when the resting position was straight up, the total length to the end of the shifter bodies was 75cm and I could set my seat closer than the 5cm setback I would have needed with the old-school shifters.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I know the rules as they are intended to be interpreted are still not so clear.
I was just being pedantic and taking it to the extreme ;-)

Make your shifter levers really long, but don't have them pointing forwards as usual, which the rules take to shorten your allowable length of extension, instead have the levers pointing backwards, where following the rules to the letter, ends up allowing you a longer length to your extensions.

Extensions 100cm long, shifter levers 25cm long, and rotated back towards the stem. As per the rules measure to the end of the lever and ignore the extension length. Cool that's legally inside the 75cm distance, with the extra 25cm of extension length you got nicely falling into the regs loophole ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pages 28/29 of this UCI guide is the "best" official explanation I've seen.
The UCI rules unfortunately have a caveat to prevent my more favourable interpretation above ;-)
http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/51/61/Clarificationguideofrules2012-ENG_English.PDF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. If that were the case you use FSA shifters, that sort of looked like brake levers, to get an 5-6 cm. I don't think I will try it through :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Kevin. Appreciate the kind words. It was quite the world wind of traveling and racing. It finally caught up with me and I have been fighting off a bad upper respiratory infection. That was heart breaker when I saw how much time I lost with that wheel change at Master Nationals but that's bike racing. Guess I was "fortunate" the flat happened at turnaround and I was able to even get a wheel. And I am really thankful the flat did not happen in Slovenia. That is an experience I will never forget.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Oh, I fully understand how they got to where they are on that whole thing when they start with the premise of using UCI rules for the event.

My point is to ask why they feel the need to do that (try to use UCI rules), and after making all those modifications and exceptions, why they can't just run the event under the rules already in their own rulebook? It's not like it's a qualification event for the World Champs, is it?

What is the reason for the 75cm rule from nose of saddle to tip of the bars?

Are you faster if you slide your seat back farther?
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word yet on where the Masters will be held in 2019/2020?
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Was someone enforcing it that way? The UCI rule is:

Quote:
The distance between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the extremity of the handlebar may not exceed 75 cm,

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:

Not that I've seen, and I've been looking. There was a RFP for host cities ~6 months ago but that's the latest public news.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
RBR wrote:

Was someone enforcing it that way? The UCI rule is:

Quote:
The distance between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the extremity of the handlebar may not exceed 75 cm,

Sorry I have no idea.

I was asking why they have that rule. I don’t know about it
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Bruizer wrote:

Not that I've seen, and I've been looking. There was a RFP for host cities ~6 months ago but that's the latest public news.

Finally announced yesterday.
https://www.usacycling.org/...onal-championships-1

Masters Road Nationals in Colorado Springs August 8-11
Masters Track Nationals up to and on Labor Day weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Masters TT Nationals [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

Finally announced yesterday.
https://www.usacycling.org/...onal-championships-1

Masters Road Nationals in Colorado Springs August 8-11
Masters Track Nationals up to and on Labor Day weekend

Cool, I like that they're kinda close together. One peak.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 12, 18 12:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next