Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe selection for a runner girl with wide feet.
Quote | Reply
Hi to all-

I've been having difficulty with lowering my run times b/c I feel confined to the heavier/bulkier "trainer" shoes.

I would like to move to the next level, but my feet are wide so that I feel most comfortable in size D shoes.

When I shop online, ALL of the flats and lightweight racing shoes are offered only in size B. I wore the size B for years until two years ago I began having plantar fascitis (which is resolved now) and the podiatrist and physical therapist recommended a wider shoe.

Anyone with a similar situation, or ideas on how to get into a lighter shoe?

Thanks!

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe selection for a runner girl with wide feet. [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check New Balance - you can order different widths. They are made in my hometown!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe selection for a runner girl with wide feet. [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a look at Altras.

I just got a pair of the trail shoes and I can't believe how comfortable they are. Minimal cushioning, really wide toe box but a nice snug heel and I feel like I'm running in slippers. My road shoes have felt like mattresses on my feet when I've gone back to them. They feel really lightweight but I've done a trail half marathon in them in supreme comfort.

I think their road shoes are built on the same principles with multiple cushioning options so worth checking out.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe selection for a runner girl with wide feet. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had looked there, but checked again… their lightweight/racing options are available only in size B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a men's racing flat? I believe the default men's width is D? I think....

Though, the Altras suggested to you are REALLY WIDE in the forefoot. I have a pair. My husband says they make my feet look like Donald Duck's.
Get them from somewhere that makes returns easy if shopping online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have wide feet as well. I dig the K-Swiss K-Ruuz (original red, white & blue version - don't know about the 1.5 or later), New Balance shoes (mostly trail shoes but they make nice lightweight stuff), Brooks Launch are my go-to training shoe, and for tri I like Zoot's shoes.

As previously suggested, try the men's version. They tend to be wider by default.

Good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Although the Altras do not some in a "wide" size, they have a very wide toe box. Although I wear a women's D in Asics, the Altra "B" fir my short fat foot very nicely.

I do find though that the shoes run small and that I have to order a half size up. As others said, very comfy shoes.

A warning though--they are zero ramp shoes, so if you're running in "traditional" shoes, you'll need to make a gradual switch.

BTW, theclymb has limited sizes on clearance.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A number of the Saucony shoes come in widths, including the kinvaras which are very light weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wear men's shoes, shop only online adn if you watch Ebay you can get men wide shoes. i used to use Brooks Ghost until I started wearing Hokas.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Shoe selection for a runner girl with wide feet. [scrumhalfgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scrumhalfgirl wrote:
A number of the Saucony shoes come in widths, including the kinvaras which are very light weight.

I think that I did not know that the Kinvara is available in multiple widths. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try mens shoes as they tend to be a bit wider. Something that has worked for me is to remove the insole and in its place use a 3/4 length insert, with nothing under my toes. This gives support for heal and arch and generates extra room in the toebox.

Insole options:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Sof_Sole_3_4_Orthotic_Performance_Insoles/descpage-SOFMC.html

http://www.amazon.com/Birkenstock-Blue-Footbed-Heeled-39/dp/B002Y47JO0/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1410636755&sr=8-12&keywords=3%2F4+cork+insoles

Quote Reply