Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar on Easton Carbon Dropbar
Quote | Reply
Hi

I just puchased an Easton EC90 carbon dropbar for my triathlonbike. Unfortunately I found out Easton is forbidding the use of an aerobar on the EC90 because of durability issues. Any advice on what to do? I just paid 200 USD for the EC90 and can´t give it back to the dealer. Do you have some good advice on how to limit the risk of damage while still installing an aerobar? Are there any bars mounting on the stem or other solution? Or do you know if the EC90 is stronger in some areas than others? I know, the obvious solution is to by a new bar, but, hey, I just bought it!

Thank´s

Martin
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar on Easton Carbon Dropbar [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, if you paid 200 USD for the bar, you paid too much. Second, unload the bar on Ebay. You're likely to take a loss, but if you really need to use aero bars, you don't have much choice. If you really *have* to have a carbon bar, Kestrel makes their less expensive bar and has certified it for use with clip-ons. Their top level bar is not rated for aero bars either. Here's a hint: Get the Ritchey WCS bar/stem combo. You're only giving up 20-40 grams depending on the stem you are currently using, and the stuff is bulletproof. Those in the know (and not handicapped by sponsorship) are using this set-up.

Bottom line, you could probably use bars on your EC-90s, but there isn't a lawyer in the world who could help you when they break. And they WILL break. Take the loss and go back to aluminum. You'll look a lot more cool finishing the race than spread over the asphalt with road rash up to your chin.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar on Easton Carbon Dropbar [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank´s for your advice. With regard to the price - it´s the ordinary price here in Europe. I know it would be a lot cheaper in the US, but an airplaneticket would cost at least 500 USD :-)

But I will consider buying a Ritchey WCS Bar/stem, especially because I can get it for a good price.

Martin
Quote Reply