Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Difference between tri bike and road bike
Quote | Reply
Can someone please tell me the difference between a tri bike and road bike. Also, please explain why a road bike can not be turned into a true tri bike. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between tri bike and road bike [cannondale kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will take a shot at it.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert and have only been aware of the Tri scene for 3 years now. I own a Cervelo One ( the old One) which is a true Tri-geometry bike.

The big difference is geometry. A Tri-bike has geometry that puts the rider in a different position. This different position is more conducive to someone who has to hop off the bike and run. It is optimized for the rider to be comfortable over long distances and to be more aerodynamic at the same time. Standard road bike geometry is not optimized for aerodynamic rider position,comfort over long distances, and uses similar muscles as one would need to run. It is optimized for maximum power output over all circumstances. So it does not 'save' the running muscles as a tri-bike will. This is all very debatable by the likes of some very prominent pro's who win big name Triathlon events with standard road bikes.

Putting a rider in a tri-position(layed out over the clip-ons) on a road bike throws the balance of the bike off and therefore the bike does not handle as well or as safely as it should/could with a tri-specific bike.

This brings me to the end of my knowledge base on the differences of tri vs road. Hope this helps.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Difference between tri bike and road bike [cannondale kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read this. It should answer your questions.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

RP
Quote Reply