Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cold-weather running dangers
Quote | Reply
as the temps here in boston are tickling sub-zero, are there any inherent dangers involved in running long distances, i.e. 13+ miles, in this climate? i recall an old runner's world article that preached of the dangers to the respiratory tract, but i have been unable to find evidence (or even the article) to support that claim. is there a limit to the distances that should be run in such extreme temps?
Quote Reply
Re: cold-weather running dangers [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of my running has been in the Jan to Feb winter. I have trained for marathons 4 out of the last 5 years in near zero or below. Never really had a problem with the lungs. The week spot for me is my face being cold. Once you accumulate the right kinds of clothing and learn how to layer it is pretty fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
          Don't be silly. The cold won't hurt you if you dress properly and let youself get used to it. I won't attempt to tell you how to dress. You'll figure it out. I ran 21 miles in just under 3 hours yesterday starting at 5 degrees and finishing at 11. I wore cotton socks and underwear, heavy weight Pearl Izumi tights, two poly pro tee shirts, long and short sleeve, a Pearl Izumi shell, light weight balaclava a wool hat and wool gloves. Except for my left hand getting really cold when I turned into the breeze. I was fine.

My friends in Woodstock ran two laps up Overlook Mt starting at 0 degrees and getting down to who knows what at the top. Then all went out for hot soup. You just have to get used to the cold, dress right and you'll be fine.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_5th.html

"Considerations for asthmatics - When the temperature differential between the ambient air and our lungs is large (over 100 degrees F), the air entering the lungs cannot be fully warmed or humidified. This can cause a reactive bronchospasm even in normal subjects. Asthmatics should be particularly aware of this risk. Bronchodilators can be helpful when used prophylactically before your run."

from http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0905.htm

"Athletes sometimes ask whether breathing in large amounts of cold air could 'freeze' the respiratory tract. The answer is not entirely clear, but the risk appears to be quite low if you are able to pull most of the incoming air through your nose rather than your mouth. Bear in mind that even when the outside air is about 13deg F, inward-moving air is warmed to about 59deg F by the time it has moved just two inches into your nasal passages. By the time it reaches your larynx, it is close to 70, and the news is even better at the entry to your lungs, where the temperature of the in-rushing air is up to 86."

Common sense would suggest that the bigger dangers are hypothermia and frost bite. If it feels uncomfortable after a few miles, turn back and hop on a treadmill (place the treadmill indoors :) ). I have run in 0-10 degree F without problem, but wind can play a big factor as well.
Quote Reply
Re: cold-weather running dangers [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
consider xc skiiers. . . .did you watch the olympics at soldier hollow last year? v2 up a big a$$ hill and you too can get a medal for breathing hard in the cold air. :) if there was problem with this sort of thing these dudes would have known about it long ago. not only do you work harder xc skiing than running, but you go a dang site faster, too - eliciting a "ram-scoop" cold air intake !! no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have already stated, the real danger in cold weather running (short of asthmatic attacks) is frost-bite. Keep your fingers, nose and toes warm. Wear something that will breathe, but block the wind. ...and DON'T FORGET TO BRING WATER. Sure, it is cold out, but you're going to sweat. I like to keep my fuel belt under my jacket, close to my body to prevent freezing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: cold-weather running dangers [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cold weather no problem for your resp system. Just finished 2hrs in -28 celsius (-18F) you must layer properly and wear a face mask but otherwise no problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key is getting acclimated to the cold, and, as mentioned, take care of the normal frost bite areas when it is really cold. I live about 3.5 hours north of the original poster, so it does get pretty cold here. I just fnished a 15 miler wearing sporthills, dri-fit base layer up top, under a shell, and a fleece hat with two pairs of those stretchy glove liners. Personally, my face is fine until well under 0 F (of course this is wind dependent). I do run without socks so the feet get a little cold the first few miles though . . .

The only real cold weather dangers are cars and ice (especially when combined)
Quote Reply
Re: cold-weather running dangers [Hitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have asthma and El Paso can get coldish in the winter (15-25F) not super cold, but cold enough...

when doing intensity, indeed, I cough a lot after training but nothing that a inhaler will not fix.

however, I have relatively mild asthma and maybe people that are very asthmatic would suffer more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in Canadian winters for 25 years and have never had any problems related to my respiratory system. I read years ago that it needs to be around -80 celsius to cause any problem. It has been around -20 around here lately and it is not a problem. Just dress warmly. You have more to worry about with cold hands and face than anything that will happen to your lungs.
Quote Reply
Another Tip... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know whether there's any real scientific basis for it, but I protect my face on really cold runs by rubbing on some of the thick Aquaphor Healing Ointment, and some kind of lip balm (Blistex), before I head out the door. I think that this combo really protects my face from wind burn, as well as the chafing from occasionally rubbing your gloves across your snot-faucet.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tip... [Ben H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very good info... especially the referenced articles regarding air temperature as it enters the lungs. appears that there's not much issue with the respiratory tract given cold, but not extreme, temps.

i've actually been quite comfortable running 2+ hours in 0-10 degree weather with a poly LS shirt and either a Pearl windbreaker or a SportHill heavy jersey. Both the latter traps a layer of warm air and is rather toasty. the toes have been an issue for the first 20-30 minutes then eventually warm up... looks like wool socks may be the answer.

thanks again... great comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably one of the greatest dangers is ice! Be really careful. Last year we had two customers breaks their wrists in falls while running. One slipped on ice, the other tripped on a crack. Wind burn is another one.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply