Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California
Quote | Reply
I am looking for an opportunity to combine my aptitude for business, leadership, and analytics with my love for the endurance sports world.

I have worked as a pricing analyst for an insurance company, applying statistical tools to correctly place and price auto insurance, as well as serving progressing through a management development program, experiencing team leadership, driving performance of others, leading teams of sales and customer service, as well as driving high level business functions. My college degree is in Economics and French while my research background involves applying statistical methods to sports economics and interests in exercise science and human performance.

I am looking for an opportunity that is located in the Southern Califonia area, or one that will allow me to work remotely from this region.

Please feel free to reach out via email or post reply to me with any opportunity, potential lead, or for résumé.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Reid

sworeid@yahoo.com

Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [Vitesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any database experience? There are tons of big data jobs floating around and they usually require stats experience. Only mention it because they pay can be north of 200k if you are good. When I say tons there is usually at least one a week in the seattle area. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the lead. I do have experience using SQL and VBA, but would not consider my self an expert of the languages.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [Vitesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if you are interested in learning check out coursera.org. Tons of free classes. I am taking a data science course right now from the University of Washington. It is ok. There are more coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What 200k... I'm wasting my time with this Best Bike Split thing... but agree Data science is very hot right now. The trick is trying to learn what is useful and what is fluff. If you can bone up on R (stats language) and non relational databases in addition to sql based you will be in a really good position. If you want to get really high value learn a combination of R and Python so you can offload the data manipulation that R doesn't do well then use R for the regression / cluster analysis / machine learning / etc etc. Actually even being proficient in pivot tables in excel can probably get you pretty far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The class I am taking includes R and Python besides SQL. I read a WSJ article a couple of weeks ago that said 400k is not unheard of but it helps to have aPhD with research using the above.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Available: Degreed and Experienced, Looking for Career Opps in Southern California [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are all good recommendations. I do have advanced excel knowledge as well as many other stats applications. Also, I find your Best Bike Split idea very intriguing. There was a professor at my university who set up a similar model ton predict the winning time of each stage of the Tour de France given. Similar idea, slightly different challenge.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah stages are trickier as there are a lot of tactics involved that add significant variability. Our goal at least with triathlon and time trial is to not predict times but to give the prescription of the best way to race to your optimal potential on a course on a given day. In case you are curious I added a link to the TJ Tollakson case study from IM Mont Tremblant below. We would definitely be looking to hire people at some point soon, but are located in Dallas/Austin. We are also bootstrapped so 200k is way north of what we will be able to swing for a while. If you email me a resume though I'll ask around.

http://www.bestbikesplit.com/case-study-tollakson

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a different animal for sure. The model used a weight constant, which as we know plays a big role in watts and Cda, plus the fact that riders of different sizes win different stage profiles. It was fairly accurate in the most recent iterations. The Tollakson article was a great read as well, it's good to have professional athletes as interested in the numbers and physics behind the sport as we are.

I will send you an email with my resume and any help would be greatly appreciated. And as a disclaimer, I'm not looking expecting a $200k job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find a 200k offer send them my way as well. I'll come with!

Amazonian
Quote Reply