Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclo computer/HRM/GPS choices
Quote | Reply
I need a HRM and since I also do not own a bike computer figure it is time to get one. I am looking for a little advice on what to get.

1. I want a wireless cyclocomputer. The cheapest one seeem to be the cateye 7, which is about $50. Anyone have any experience with this computer or any other wireless ones? Do they work accurately? Any problems with cross-talk from a HRM? I have campy 8 on my road bike, and campy 10 with bar ends on my tri bike, so flight deck and ergobrain are not viable options.

2. Now for the HRM. This Friday's Wall Street Journal had an article on HRMs. They gave good marks to the Nike for value and comfort, but Polar was still top rated. I have a Polar now and have been reasonably satisfied. Anyone have any experience with their cycling computer compatable models? Does the speed sensor and or cadence sensor work well enough to just use that alone rather than in combination with a bike computer. Any problems with mounting the Polar hardware. I race on a P2K and it looks like the cadence/speed sensor would not mount on a Cervelo frame/aero fork.

3. Finally this Timex GPS. Only $225, a little cheaper than I thought. How well does this work? Also aside from running, where there is no substitute, can this provide the same functions as bike computer, i.e speed and total distance traveled?

I guess I asked a lot of questions, but there is so much overlap now, it is hard to be sure what to get to avoid having an excessive number of gadgets.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclo computer/HRM/GPS choices [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a very good point- the one of overlap. I recently saw the Garmin Gecko at Interbike and thought this might be pretty close to the "wave of the future". It is a miniature GPS unit that you can wear on your arm and mount to your bike. It gives you Time, speed, all the speed/distance related functions, heart rate and other information. It is small and light. That was an interesting product.

I use the Timex Performance Monitor and fully recommend it. It is awesome and indispensible for running. The amount of information is amazing, it is dependable and highly accurate. I have had zero problems with it. I'm very impressed. I love mine.

I have had exclusively bad results with wireless cyclocomputers. I have tried Sigma, Cateye and two other brands I can't remember. None worked reliably, or, to be more specific, as reliably as a $29.99 Cateye Velo 2 with a front mount wiring harness.

The ultimate, simple, small, omnipotent telemetry module has yet to be invented.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does the speed sensor and or cadence sensor work well enough to just use that alone rather than in combination with a bike computer. Any problems with mounting the Polar hardware. I race on a P2K and it looks like the cadence/speed sensor would not mount on a Cervelo frame/aero fork.

I have the Polar S710i and before that I had two Polar XTs (one stolen, one broke I smashed it into a wall and then swam in the bay.)

The speed, distance sensors seem to work as well the Avocet 45T that I used to used on the same bike, plus you can download your workout data including speed, distance, cadence, heart rate and altitude. The ability to track altitude is what sets this unit apart from other cycling computers (I guess the Ciclosport units may have altitude also) and either the Timex speed and distance of the Gecko units.

You shouldn't have any problem mounting the Polar speed sensor on your P2K. It mounts on the fork with cable ties. The cadence sensor might be harder to mount onto the shaped downtube of the P2K.

Ray

--

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I wouldn't get a wireless computer. I had one on my bike during my first IM. Along the railroad tracks, I got a reading of 0km/h. I really hated it, fighting the winds going uphill with that 0 on the screen...So I took it off and continued without computer.

I don't know how much interference the various wireless computers have. But I definitely prefer one with a cable. I got the cateye AT100. I think it was around 80$, but it also includes temperature readings, an altimeter, and a LED backlight. The altitude readings are pretty consistent but can vary some with change in weather during the ride. I really like the AT100 because it is pretty solid and can handle some abuse, dropped it plenty of times but that thing is still working.

I also have a Polar 810 heart rate monitor. I'm very pleased with all the functions it offers. I use it for every practice (except swimming), sometimes even to monitor recovery as I'm sleeping. I then transfer the data to my computer. The computer program that comes with the HR monitor is good (like with everything, improvement could always help) and easy to use.The coded transmitter prevents interference with others as well. I think Polar is the way to go. They offer plenty of different ones, so there's something for your needs.

daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't get cadence on a wireless (other than Flightdeck), so I'd rule it out right there. You really should have a cadence function. It will help with your training and with race execution. Get a simple bike computer with a cadence function, and a very simple Polar HR monitor. Cheap, easy and bulletproof. For the price of some of the setups you're considering, you can get a computer for each bike, and not even worry about dual wiring kits.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclo computer/HRM/GPS choices [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can't get cadence on a wireless (other than Flightdeck) not true: http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/newsfiche?lg=uk&news.id=70, so I'd rule it out right there. You really should have a cadence function. It will help with your training and with race execution. Get a simple bike computer with a cadence function, and a very simple Polar HR monitor. Cheap, easy and bulletproof. For the price of some of the setups you're considering, you can get a computer for each bike, and not even worry about dual wiring kits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar S710.

1. Wireless. Can have both speed and cadence sensor.

2. HRM.

3. No GPS, but it does have an altimeter, thermometer and those nifty little reminder alarms that I've never used but always bragged about. ;)

It's a bit pricey but it works like a champ.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclo computer/HRM/GPS choices [usna00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto to all the comments on the Polar. I've got a 720i and it works great. I would highly recommend this product. It would be even better if Polar could get the power measuring to be more accurate, hopefully that will occur in the not too distant future. Then it would be just about perfect.
Last edited by: burgerdp: Nov 3, 03 4:58
Quote Reply