Re: 3t aero bar extensions: Ski bend vs S bend [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly which bars do you have?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: 3t aero bar extensions: Ski bend vs S bend [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
This might be imaginary, but to me ski bends seem more stable from a steering stand point (than S Bend).

I found this. I'm even comfortable bunny-hopping lightly while in aero position on a descent if there for example the lip to a bridge approach or similar and don't mind cornering in them at speed if the surface is clean and reasonably smooth. Plus the hand angle seems more natural on Ski bends.

I use Bontrager Race lite extensions, but I cut about 1-1/2" off the extensions so my hand covers most of the sifter when my arms are parallel to the bars (I have smaller hands/arms). I also probably cut my extensions just a little too short overall. I wouldn't mind them out another 1/4". I could probably nudge them another 1/8" and have maybe about 1/16" of the extension inside the bar pad clamp. Tempting. It's not like I'm 200lbs.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 3t aero bar extensions: Ski bend vs S bend [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i use the 3T ski bends. suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: 3t aero bar extensions: Ski bend vs S bend [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm noticing many more bikes with the ski bends, a new trend based on comfort maybe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This simply could be my bias manifesting itself, but I tend to see more TT oriented folks going with straight and the S-bend family of extensions (not exclusively though). Conversely, when I am out on training rides or driving about most of the "multi-sport" athletes I tend to see are on ski bends (of varying length). I think this is a case were vanity, tradition, and lack of a need for extended comfort is driving the TT folk's decisions. For my part I have been sold on Ski-bends, but still like how bikes look with straight or S-bend extensions (purely from an aesthetics standpoint). Also, while true S-bends strained my wrists toward the end of 40K, the F-bend style never did. So, I think it boils down to individual comfort and specific intention. Oh, and vanity. :)

My YouTubes

Last edited by: Stalkan: Aug 24, 14 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On many people they have tested as faster, in many positions in makes the frontal area that first hits the wind smaller, I am going to try some over the winter for next season, really the only last aero upgrades that wont cost a fortune I can make are the ski bends, aero skewers and a deeper front wheel (currenly run a 60mm old v shape), thinking HED3 or older Corima tri spoke if I can find

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would put the extensions as long as you need them to feel comfortable. Personally I like ski bends.

I don't remember reading that you are/were uncomfortable so if you are looking for the most aero setup, you are most likely going to need to visit a wind tunnel. I really think you are splitting hairs though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: 3t aero bar extensions: Ski bend vs S bend [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if ski bends were faster and more comfortable why do all the new bikes seem to have s bend again?
Quote Reply

Prev Next