Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another annoying type A.... [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"France sucks "

Another voice of authority on France. Betcha you, Record 9ti, Slick, et al have never even been there. I've spent time there, speak a bit of French and like the place a lot.
Quote Reply
Is steamer in OH and from Toronto? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats your plan for next year? any idea's, how did this year go?

If you're not in Ohio then ignore this message.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [fundperformance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen that a lot too.
People ask you: what do you do for living"...to which I answer, "I teach and do research" which is really not interesting for these guys...but somehow, I have seen some people answering "I have a PhD".
Somehow this becomes interesting. Last time it happened I said "yes but it was 10 years ago...done anything since then?"
I like the unemployed strategy...sounds good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so that people see what a great dude you are...
denewone wanted FREE advice for training...I told him, sure I'll have a look.
He sends me his program by fax. I spend a good couple of hours looking at it, writing corrections. Then spend a good deal of time answering by email...and somehow, the email doesn't get there.
Seems like his mailbox was full or something like this...
He tells me this, then say can you send it back, but at the same time I notice that he says on one of the french threads "france sucks, french suck, bunch of bastards, andrewmc is an idiot, boycott france" etc...whatever"....
now is pissed because he never got the plan...

go figure why dude!

you are just too smart. get over your sorry little self, and wonder why I wouldn't send your program...
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [fundperformance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously not trying to antagonize you, but...

USAT cares how much you make and what you do for a living. They spread that information around as much as they can to businesses and hotels in host cities. So do all the bike companies that are building $4,000 tri bikes, $7,000 customs, and other such niche products.

If the 'average' triathlete was making under 40K, no one would be buying TiPhoons, custom Serottas, Ironman wetsuits, Computrainers, and so on. Or rather, some people would, and they'd all be divorced, lonely, and living in a studio apartment eating Ramen noodles.

I think it would be great so see some old school style races, like some time trials do, where none of the super high tech, expensive gear is allowed. You'd see the costs of doing tri's go down, but you'd probably see times go way up. Heck, I might even become competitive.

On a different note, I work in Boston, where the standard greeting is "What do you do?" and you're right, it's annoying. But think of this: You've got all these people who identify themselves solely by their jobs, and don't have anything else to live for. When they retire, it's as devastating as Tinley describes in is book, because these people don't know who they are anymore.(free plug there, i guess)

I noticed when I started doing tri's this year that many people, even a lot of the type A's, don't do that stuff at races. At least not until after they've found out what your race goal is. ;p That's one of the things I like about the community.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cliffs Notes Summary of this thread...

1. Someone asks an honest questions about the income level of IBD employees.

2. People (myself included) respond that at an IBD you will need to take a vow of poverty if you plan that as your lifes work.

3. People think that I am an ass and like "Type A" is a bad thing deem that I am an evil type A person because I want more money than an IBD could ever pay me.

4. People banter about fish stories about what they were / are and want to know "what have you done for me lately"

5. We need to use speel cheque on the board.

6. Some people on the internet are liars, the others that really have what they claim are braggarts.

7. France sucks...(and people think I am SOOOOoooooooo serious about that) FrancewAAAaaaaaaa (take a pill man)

8. jmoryissey is 100% correct that USAT wants to know the income level of Tri folks and is DAMN PROUD and often touts the fact that Tri folks tend to be in a higher tax % than your typical Football / baseball / Basketball fan.

That about summs it up.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for the record (pun not intended), I don't think you're an ass and a evil Type A person, I just find you annoying.

And it looks like we won't meet, next year anyway, as it doesn't look like out paths will cross. But I'm sure I'll have a chance in our lifetime to whiz by you on my QR PR circa 1996 :-)

Paulo

(That's Paw-loo if you ever want to make fun of my name, the price we pay for using our real names...)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"3. People think that I am an ass and like "Type A" is a bad thing deem that I am an evil type A person because I want more money than an IBD could ever pay me. "

The problem was how you stated it. You could have said "I make way more now than I ever did in a bike shop" and everything would have been fine. Posting your hourly wage comes across as being boastful, just like your incessant ramblings about the superiority of all things Campagnolo. It's kind of like the guy who is always talking about how many women he has slept with or how much he benchpressed in college. The fact that you spent all last winter wailing about how sick you are/were and then spent the Summer denigrating everyone who isn't just like you has not helped your case either. A little humility goes a long way.
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"3. People think that I am an ass and like "Type A" is a bad thing deem that I am an evil type A person because I want more money than an IBD could ever pay me. "

The problem was how you stated it. You could have said "I make way more now than I ever did in a bike shop" and everything would have been fine. Posting your hourly wage comes across as being boastful, just like your incessant ramblings about the superiority of all things Campagnolo. It's kind of like the guy who is always talking about how many women he has slept with or how much he benchpressed in college. The fact that you spent all last winter wailing about how sick you are/were and then spent the Summer denigrating everyone who isn't just like you has not helped your case either. A little humility goes a long way.

I didnt post my hourly wage, I posted what I bill per hour.

Campy is superior

Last winter after my diagnosis that was my #1 concern in life and caused serious depression. Now life is my #1 concern in life, and playing IronMan is the core of my life. Tri folks are what makes my life worth living as they are who interest me.

Your humility point is well taken...sometimes I cross the line from confidence to arrogance - and back again. People need to not be ashamed of what they have acheived in life, however I must learn to not hold others to the standards of that I hold myself.

Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<If the 'average' triathlete was making under 40K, no one would be buying TiPhoons, custom Serottas, Ironman wetsuits, Computrainers, and so on. Or rather, some people would, and they'd all be divorced, lonely, and living in a studio apartment eating Ramen noodles. >>

What the?? Why am I being drug into this conversation?

I'm going back to my coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: How much to get paid.. [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timberwolf, you're great... :D

i figure win the lottery/marry rich and im set ;)

lolz...just jokes. time to go to class and learn some stuff i guess...:P

-kg

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the photo that Record9ti posted it's not hard to notice he's wearing my favorite FRENCH shoes made by TIME. My instict tells me he secretly loves the French, religiously watches films by Goddard and Truffault, and reads Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Hugo, Flaubert and Derrida. I bet he also eats eclairs and sips French wine. But with that spelling of his ("gelous?") I can't imagine what he does for $110.00 an hour...a masseur?
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's it Francois!!!! Don't make me come to Texas to open a can of whip butt on you.

Just how big an ol boy are you anyway????????
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tripoet,

good references...except maybe Godard...really not a fan...but he is swiss anyway :-) not french.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big enough. 5'7'', 143lbs. future lineman for the Dallas Cowboys! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the photo that Record9ti posted it's not hard to notice he's wearing my favorite FRENCH shoes made by TIME. My instict tells me he secretly loves the French, religiously watches films by Goddard and Truffault, and reads Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Hugo, Flaubert and Derrida. I bet he also eats eclairs and sips French wine. But with that spelling of his ("gelous?") I can't imagine what he does for $110.00 an hour...a masseur?

Damnit - my gig is up...and blame the speeling on da public skool education I gots.

Fact is I have posters of the Eifel (is that how you spell it?) Tower all over the room with my trainer in it.

I dont mind the French people per sé - I hate their politics. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eiffel...two fs.

btw the Eiffel tower is ugly! it was supposed to be disassembled right after the universal expo in 1900.
still there. I guess noone was inactive enough to have time to take that ugly stuff down!
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The French also gave us the Statue of Liberty, for which I would like to thank them. I'm sure that the ancestors of more than a few Slowtwitch forum participants were processed through Ellis Island.

Brett

Live Free or Die.
Quote Reply
Re: another annoying type A.... [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we gave you a copy actually. a larger copy. the first one sculpted by Bartholdi is one the Seine river.
it's significantly smaller than the one in NY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The French also gave us......"

And they gave us Canuks Quebec, for better or worse.

Just kidding if any Quebecois are lurking here. Actually, I love Montreal and Quebec City.
Quote Reply
Re: Is steamer in OH and from Toronto? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL Andrew - nothing like busting my cover bro! :)

My season went fine - had fun and thats the important thing. Looking forward to next season already.

Glad to see you back on these bullshit discussion boards. Maybe I'll catch you on jchat one of these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The French also gave us the Statue of Liberty, for which I would like to thank them. I'm sure that the ancestors of more than a few Slowtwitch forum participants were processed through Ellis Island.
They built it - took it apart, couldnt get it back together.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be nice.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next