Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to avoid swimming cramps
Quote | Reply
My friend Tom is 42 and has an IM best at 10,35. The last couple of years cramps during the swim has troubled him so much that he considers to go back to running only. As he is my good friend and I want to beat him in next years norseman xtreme, I would appreciate it if you share your knowledge.

The problems occurs after about 40 minutes swim. He is ok if the 3,800 meters are divided in 3 laps, but he cant do a long distance without such brakes. And it seems to him that the problems occurs no matter what he eats and drinks, regardless of stretching and using or not using his legs makes no difference.

Do you have a good advice how to solve this?

HÃ¥rek
Quote Reply
Re: How to avoid swimming cramps [stranheim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My name is Tom I am 42 and my Ironman best is about 10:35. I also have swim cramps. (I am totally serious). Where does he get the cramps?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to avoid swimming cramps [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom! If you tell me that you also have 3 daughters, then I know your just kidding me...

It looks like I didn't describe where he has cramps. I am norwegian, and my anatomy-vocabulary is very limited, but. The cramps often hit him in both legs at the same time, and often back side of both thigh and leg. But back side of thigh is the worst.

BR
Hårek,
Norway

HÃ¥rek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, no daughters. I do have 2 cats though.

I also have occasional cramps in the back of my legs, particularly my calves. I got a very bad one two nights ago pushing off the pool wall after a flip turn.

I have discovered the cramps, in general, tend to be less frequent or disappear altogether if I am dilligent in my weight training for my legs (high repetitions, low weight) and have been doing enough swimming. If my run and bike mileage is out of proportion to my swim mileage (as is often the case) it seems much worse.

Also, stretching and massage therapy tend to almost eliminate this.

Interestingly, the only place I get cramps is in the back of my legs on any regular basis.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My name's not Tom, but... I get leg cramps too. Calf mainly. 40 minutes seems to be the magic time for me too.
For me it seems to depend more on how much I am on my feet through the day. I have a crappy work schedule that varies greatly in the amount of time I spend on my feet. One month I'm standing around most of the day, the next I am sitting a great deal more than standing. The cramps seem to occur on the "standing" months.
Not too much to add about how to deal with these other than I do better with stretching, better hydration, and not standing around all day. I think the slow static tension on standing without full range of motion is actually worse than exercise induced fatigue.
Perhaps more kickboard work may help. Timing the swims before big leg work that day may also help. I stopped doing long swims after long runs or bikes after suffering from cramps in my first year of IM training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an authority on getting cramps, but not on resolving...yet. Cramping has really put a damper on my race times not to mention fun factor. So take my suggestions for what they are worth...

I have been paying closer attention to the electrolyte balance (salt, magnesium, calcium, etc...) to make sure i have enough, but not too much.

I find that calf cramps in the pool come from not enough lower leg strength. I have been doing more calf raises (i.e., stand on a stair step on ball of foot and raise up and dip down) has helped.

But, back to the electrolytes...a competitive swimmer suggested to me to eat a banana 30 mins before the swim. I have been suprised that it has helped, but don't understand how the body can be depleted of potassium and/or other salts and minerals within 40 mins of the swim. hmm...

Another thought, could his muscle group be out of balance and that is why he cramps in the back of the leg?

In worst case, he can always do what I have resorted to - reduce the kick in the race. Yes, it slows down the swim time, but better than not racing.
Quote Reply