Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo
Quote | Reply
I was thumbing through the new 2004 Trek catalog and I was looking at their new triathlon specific bikes; the Equinox 9 and Equinox 7. They look very similar to Trek’s earlier triathlon bikes which went under the Hilo 2000 and Hilo 1000 name.

Some of the differences that I noticed was that the Hilo’s were designed to only use 650c wheels, where as it appears that the Equinox are only offered in 700c.

The Hilo’s came with the 78-degree seat tube angle were as the Equinox seat tube geometry is at 76-degrees, but with the Bontrager seat post can be flipped to provide an effective seat tube angle from 74 to 78 degrees.

Does anyone know the story behind these new bikes and the old Hilo’s?
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Kinesio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've looked at the Trek Hilo and also the Equinox.

First off, when the Hilo came out it struck me as a somewhat tongue-in-cheek, underhanded stab at the Quintana Roo Kilo.
The Kilo was arguably the first "real" triathlon specific bike (after that 80 degree seat tube angle one, what was that called?) designed for use with aero bars primarily by Dan Empfield, founder of Quintana Roo (now owned by ABG after being sold by Hyde Athletic [Saucony]who bought it from Dan E. if I have my story straight). I thought that was, well, kind of tacky and of questionable intention or integrity. Trek seemed to have done the "Def Leppard" thing: Ever notice that "Def Leppard" and "Led Zeppelin" have similar pentameter and vowel/consonant configuration? That was purposeful on the part of Def Leppard's record label- they hoped to foster some subliminal association between the two. I think Trek was attempting the same thing by calling their triathlon bike the "Hilo" when Dan's was called the "Kilo" (because the early versions weighed 2.2 pounds). IMHO that's lame.

Secondly, the Hilo had the oddest geometric configuration per frame size- I couldn't get any of the sizes to fit anyone very well. It was just "weird". Even the huge sizes had 650c wheels. The small sizes had impossibly high head tubes and, if I recall correctly, there was something weird about the top tube lengths too- I think they were all way too long per frame size unless you had a phenomonally long torso (in which case then the head tube was still too high). The proportions were just all wrong on the darn thing.

Trek took a year off from triathlon bikes. I was told by a rep they did this to "Spend a year studying triathlon bikes and what the triathlete needed" and that they were going to come back with something "Very special and well thought out". Boom, the Equinox.

Well, I looked at the Equinox too since its introduction. Now, in fairness, I should point out that I own a bike shop that sells some Trek products (Fisher and Lemond bicycles) but I don't sell the Trek brand. I like the OCLV road bikes. When I looked at the Equinox my first reaction was "This is Trek's 'well thought out' contribution to triathlon bike technology?" I was dramatically underwhelmed. The proportions and angles continue to be weird. Trek seems to have done the political thing and built it with a mitigated "kind of steep, but not too steep" seat tube angle so you could argue both sides of the steep/shallow issue. It's a fence-sitter. Like anything when you try to please everyone, you often don't please anyone. The Equinox seems caught in that "no man's land" of not quite a tri bike, not quite a road bike. Also, I thought the cable routing was, well, rough. The whole project looked "banged out". It didn't look like much thought went into it. It looks like the kind of bike for the Trek rep to go into a big Trek dealer and say, "Hey, look at what I have for you to sell to those triathloner people who are spending all that money- a genu-ine, died in the wool triathloner bike. Now you don't have to keep talking to all those ABG/Felt/Cervelo people! You can buy all your bikes from Trek! Now, what can we do to get those Bell and Giro helmets out of your store and bring in a couple hundred Trek helmets to get you to the next wholesale buy-in program level?"

So, in short, the Equinox was disappointing considering Trek's capabilites. I thought a (comparitively) minor player like X-Lab (with their interesting new Mach 2) and Guru and Argon 18 and a bunch of others had more technically credible triathlon offerings at Interbike this year. The Equinox struck me as lip service to the tri market.

If I were Trek, I would be more worried about how to stay on the brand awareness radar after Lance's sixth tour win in 2004 and his subsequent retirement from the sport. Then Treks won't be featured in Subaru, Britol Meyers Squibb, OLN, and all that other lucky "co-branded" advertising they hit the jackpot with. The Trek/Lance juggernaut has been awesome, effective, powerful and raised awareness of the sport of cycling with some good bikes under a great team supporting a truly amazing athlete with a compelling story. The question in Trek marketing right now has got to be: "What are we going to talk about in 2005?" It can't be half-baked "tri" bikes with 700c wheels and 76 degree seat tube angles.

Just my .02 cents. I was hoping for more from them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well stated. I couldn't agree more.
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom..good points. Do you remember the Cervelo Eyre Tri? When I firt saw the Hilo, I thought it was a dead ringer for the Eyre tri. At first glance, they look near identical.

As an owner of a Hilo, and having ridden it for two years (primarily in races), I've noticed a few things. You're right about the geometry. It does seem to have a bit of a long top tube. But for me, being 6 foot even, a 56 fit me pretty well with a few adjustnments. The 650's are fine. I am lucky. I also got a really good deal on the frame so it was a no brainer.

The Hilo and the Equinox line looks very similar. The one thing that I HOPE Trek did during their time off was work on the Aluminum. The Hilo frame is like a mid evil torture machine. Just way too stiff. Though one should expect this from a full Aluminum bike, something about the Hilo is just not right. Again, the ride is wayyyyyy too stiff. Grant it, if fit properly, a HIlo is a rocket, but it just beats one to death. I would be very hesitant to ever purchase another Aluminum tri bike from Trek. Hopefully Trek addressed comfiort issues with this new line of tri bikes. If not, they are doomed. Even with a full carbon Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork and 404's, the ride is insanely brutal.

I have not had the opportunity to take a new Equinox for a ride to compare. Maybe I will do this this weekend for fun. But after two seasons I am finally done with my Hilo. I am going to get a Yaqui as soon as I get some extra gingle.

My 2 cents..
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Graz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't understand why Trek doesn't make a full blown dedicated OCLV tri bike. I guess they think the team time trial bike fits the bill. Maybe they think having the OCLV team time trial bike and an OCLV tri bike would be too expensive. But I bet if they put out a geometrically sound OCLV tri bike, dealers wouldn't be able to keep the bikes in stock.

When you get your Yaqui, you'll be in love instantly. I ordered one in September, and got it last week. Incredible bike.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do make an Equinox in OCLV. According to their website, they offer the Equinox 7 and 9, which look like 700c replicas of the Hilo, and then they have the 11, which looks like the team time trial, but comes with a flippable seatpost. I'm not sure what the differences are beyond that. The aluminum bikes look pretty ho-hum, but I have to admit that the OCLV, if it truly can achieve 78 degrees, looks pretty sexy.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, the sizing and geometry of the time trial bike make it difficult to fit the average rider. That bike is, from what I've heard from those in the know, notoriously difficult to fit (unless you are built like Lance). The flippable seat post may make the geometry a little easier to fit -- I don't know. But maintain that if Trek would make a geometrically sound OCLV tri bike in a full run of sizes, they would have an instant hit. As it stands, their offerings are ho-hum and will remain that way.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From original quotes, the Equinox carbon is set up with lesser components and costs more than the Team Time Trial bike. Flippable seatpost big woop, in my opinion this offering is insulting to the sport of triathlon.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree. It's well within Trek's means to come up with an OCLV tri bike similar to their 5000-series road bikes. I think this would be an instant hit. Forget aero down tubes and all that- all they'd have to do is make new molds for their BB, headtube and seat tube lugs and they're in business. Judging by the frequency of questions about using OCLV's as tri bikes (and the number of OCLV's in the Kona bike surveys every year) people would be lining up to buy this bike. Way to go Trek for listening to your target demographic!
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geez' , why Trek anyway , oclv are great , but as stated thier tri line a leaking boat. With so many reputable small companies, why even consider the monster, that said if your looking at the oclv, get a kestel 300, nicest road bike i've had.

i think there, 4 am
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Equinox vs Trek Hilo [spaceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of you know what happened to the Trek Y-Foil that was introduced several years ago? It was ostensibly a road bike, but at the time Trek did not have a tri-bike and I thought it was a natural for the multi-sport market since real roadies wouldn't try the unconventional frame... or perhaps couldn't per UCI rules. Anyway, the bike's gone and I was just wondering why?
Quote Reply