Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlete in Chicago
Quote | Reply
What's it like to be a triathlete in Chicago?? I'm contemplating some new jobs, all of which require a move from my current home in Denver. I'm nervous about that midwest winter!! Is there a strong community of triathletes out there?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete in Chicago [jvgpfeifle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is a strong community of triathletes here in Chicago. The midwest winters aren't nearly as bad as you might be imagining - they have been very mild the past few years unlike all the years where I was walking to the bus stop for school in sub-zero temps and snow (25 years ago).

I run outside a lot during the winter, swim with a Masters Swimming group and do CompuTrainer or spin classes to keep up my biking legs. And there are several indoor triathlon series which help keep you motivated to train over the winter.

But if you are downhill skier, you will certainly miss the mountains. The big hills that are a comfortable drive away are about as tame as your bunny hills out west.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tri scene here is good and getting better -- but I wouldn't say it is great, not yet at least.

The pros:

* There are a variety of active clubs in all areas of Chicago and the 'burbs.

* Some very good cycling/tri shops, including Bicycle Sports Chicago (My preference), Mission Bay and several others.

* Very good masters swim programs.

* Some very good AG athletes are from the area (not me!)

* Close to some good races (IMW, Galena sprint, Tri-Shark, Muncie Endurathon, Dairyland 1/2, a series in Michigan -- Oh and that big race in Chicago.)

* Lots of fitness clubs

* Good social/cultural life

The Cons:

* If you like riding on long climbs, you won't find any here. You can find some good rolling hills outisde of Chicago.

* Riding in the City for Training purposes is very difficult, even on the lakefront path -- you need to leave the city for good riding.

* The "fitness culture" -- people and communiuties being enthusiastic about an active lifestyle -- is not pervasive in the community -- you'll only find it in a few select pockets of this culture in the city and surrounding areas (I get some really weird looks while rinding my tri bike in my hood). This is improving though.

Regarding the weather, it can be unpredictable, but if you don't mind dressing like nanuk, then you can run and ride outside during the winter, roads permitting -- I did all winter.

If you are a skiier, then stay in CO.

Good luck.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the summer its great. You can swim and run at the lake front and a good ride is a 1/2 hour to an hour away in barrington or northern burbs. You can run through the winter and alot of people ride through the winter until there is snow. The Chicago Tri Club is really good, alot of resources and activities throughout the year. There are indoor tris throughout the area. Its a great city, but can get cold in the winter.

http://www.chicagotriclub.com

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Denver, now live in Florida, but travel to Chicago often in my job. Winters in Chicago, to me, are very much unlike Denver winters. In Denver, you will get about 1-2 days of overcast and snow per week, but the rest of the week it is sunny and often quite warm. Whereas, in Chicago, it seems gray and dreary all the time. To me, that is mentally very depressing, and would tend to affect my outlook and training regimen negatively. Perhaps that is why a large percentage of Chicagoans appear pasty and overweight (to me), whereas the majority of Denverites or Coloradans seem tan and fit (to me). Money isn't everything--quality of life counts for something, too. There are only two places I'd probably rather be than Denver, San Diego and where I am right now. Only I can't afford to live in San Diego. Chicagoans, flame on.
Quote Reply
Lived in Chicago for 4 years, Boulder for 1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upside to both, fantastic Masters programs, fabulous runners in both towns.

Run every day with groups with abilities ranging from 2.18-20 to 5, what ever floats your boat.

General rule was so long as the Mecury stayed above 32, shorts it was, probably only ever missed a couple of days because of Chicago weather, and that was stictly ice related, with the right clothes it's normally possible to run outside.

Swimming programs far more limited in Chicago, only twice a day at UIC and once a day on the northside as opposed to the three sessions a day in Boulder but all the Masters programs in Chicago rock.

Riding is the only downside, but within 30 minutes you can head out of town so it's all what you choose to make of it, and I can think of some very good athletes that train in the city.

Riding in the winter really is a bitch, and I had to do that inside probably for most of Jan and Feb, but the winter does not put a damper on the running and the swimming.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the previous responses have overlooked the most important reason of all to move to Chicago: there are way more single women here than single men. If triathlon is the most important thing to you, then move to southern California otherwise realize that a strong case can be made for most of the major cities in the US - except for Detroit, MI - when considering quality of life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, training out here is no problem. The lack of hills is a drag. But just remember 8 words:

Studded Mountain Bike Tires... (they work great)

Lots of Warm Clothes...

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply