Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Report: Cape Cod Marathon
Quote | Reply
There have been a number of posts about fall marathons and pacing, so I thought I would offer my own experimental data.

Hypothesis: It is possible to run 26.2 miles, when you have never run longer than 16 miles in training.

Corollary: It is possible to run the 26.2 miles at a pace significantly faster than the 16 miler you did.

I may have confouding variables, but I will leave analysis of my experimental result to the reader.

Experimental Setup: The sky was overcast and about sixty degrees. Quite perfect Marathon conditions. The course chosen had quite a few hills, especially in miles 16-21. The hills were offset by beautiful ocean views. There were some stiff winds, sometimes in your face, but fortunately for the last few miles more or less at your back.

Introduction: After my last Tri of the season (Sept. 7), even actually a little bit before I decided to run a Marathon this Fall. Several Buddies were doing one, but it was one who wasn't who gave me the motivation. I am relatively young (28) and a friend I ran with in college, who always would talk about goals of running a good marathon when he got out, has spent the better part of the last four years battling 2 stress fractures, shin splints and tendonitis. It got me to thinking that I had a good base and I was healthy and since I wanted to do a marathon eventually, why not now. The training would not be ideal, but I sure could get to the finish line. I could end up injured tomorrow, get hit by a car while riding my bike (A friend's dad has spent the last 20 years in a wheel chair as a result of getting hit while riding), so there was no time like the present.

Experimental Procedure: I had done plenty of tri training and had done about 25-30 miles a week of running all season. Nothing longer than 8 or nine usually. I ran a 1/2 marathon back in March 1:26:40 and had done a 1:36 in a 1/2 IM in Late June (The run was short though)

I did about 40-45 miles a week for about 6-7 weeks from Sept 7 to Oct 26 to get ready. My three longest training runs, which were also the three longest training runs of my life were 1:30, 1:45 and 2:00, the last being 2 weeks prior to the race. These were run at about 7:45 pace or so I would say, maybe a tad faster. I did a hilly half marathon about 2 weeks ago, 1:25:30 in cold rainy conditions. For speed I had done a couple of 4x1600m workouts, one about 5:48 pace and the last 10 days ago, done more like a tempo run in 6:02 pace. Anyway, with no tempo or threshold running I figured I could run very close to 3:00 even. Based on what I was reading on here, I was probably being a little bit optimistic.

I went out at 7:00 pace and ran basically 6:55 - 7:05 every mile. I split the half in 1:31:50 and was a little under 2:22 at 20 miles. I was taking a GU about every 5 miles (4 total) and taking at least a litle fluid at every station (about every 3 miles). After I finished the last of the major hills in mile 21 I was still about 2:29 and change. Mile 22 hit and I really ran out of gas. I walked a bit and struggled through the last 5 miles about 9:00 pace with a few short walking breaks. I tried to muster kick at the end, but I was definitely doing a kona-shuffle down main street to the line.

Oh yeah, the final result 3:16:30. I may have been able to go a little bit faster with a slower start, but I really doubt it. I knew I might be in trouble late, but luckily I made it over 21 miles before I really started to struggle.

Closing Rant: To the Whirlaway Road runners, Shame on you. I don't know what they were doing for all their runners, but I saw what they were doing for three women who were all the in the top ten, racing for prize money and NE USATF Grand Prix points as this was the NE Marathon Championship. Aside, from the USATF rules violation, the race handout asked all non-official vehicles and bikes to stay off the course for safey. They had three bikes and a car that I saw, providing small bottles of gatorade and water to their runners every mile or two (official aid stations were about 3 miles apart). The bikes were riding back and forth all along the course from mile 2 until just before the finish and at least once they buzzed a little too close to me for comfort. Certainly these runners got a big advantage getting fluids whenever they wanted and getting to drink from bottles rather than struggling with cups like the rest of us. I didn't effect me obviously, but it sure wasn't fair to their competition and I have never seen anything so blatant in my life.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Oct 28, 03 8:43
Quote Reply