Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bikes & electronics
Quote | Reply
I am likely just uninformed, I do not have a biking background and don't know any of the UCI or ITU rules about bikes. I do not have an engineering or technical background. I am just wondering why certain tech advances have not been used on bikes.

1) Drive by wire - manufacturers spend a significant amount of time trying to minimize weight - yet still use a basic lever system to move the deraileur (sic?). Is there something against using an electronic impulse to move the deraileur? I think that given a much lighter wire could be used and the potential higher accuracy of derailleurs could have huge benefits in terms of both aerodynamics and weight.

2) Continuously Variable transmission - this is something that the automotive industry has had in place for over twenty years. It hasn't been in mass production until recently because of uneven shifts - I think that uneven shifts for a car would be smooth relative to what I have on my bikes. Not sure how it works but I think that Audi's version is a set of chains that continuously adjusts the ratio to achieve maximum efficiency. I am not sure how this could be applied but I think it is an interesting idea that could revolutionize gearing.

3) Run Flats - stronger sidewalls that will allow you to ride a certain distance with limited air pressure and wouldn't be as unstable right aftergoing flat (i.e. get to a safe place to change the tire and be able to maintain control easier). Not sure if this would work on such a small tire (or would be worth the weight gain).

4) A locking pin for PC's: One of the major things holding me back from investing in PC's is that I only have one real bike (and one commuter piece of crap) and I am not very good at the mechanical stuff (i.e. changing cranks). An ability to lock PC's to behave like normal cranks with a pin or something like that would make non-tech mopes like me more interested. I don't want to have to race on PC's and also don't want to be taking my bike to the LBS (who isn't that great and I don't have easy access to any others because of the hours I work) every other week.

My 0.02

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: bikes & electronics [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Electronic shifting will be available on Campy probably '05. It's been used by a number of pros this year. Mavic had the Zapp system in the late 80's but it flopped for poor weather resistance, battery life and some other problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good questions...

1) I think shift by wire is still a way off because the current system(s), while far from perfect, offer the substantial advantage of remarkable simplicity and the utilization of a highly reliable (and "free") power source for moving said gear systems: the rider's hands. Current micro servos, motors, and batteries that can beat that in weight, reliability, and simplicity are a long ways off.

2) Here the problem is similar, but with the addition of another issue: efficiency and friction. Most CVTs in use today, while slick in their operation, still can't beat the efficiency of the direct connection possible in a manual/direct drive type of transmission. Motor vehicles that don't run at the ragged edge of their capability don't need to have such incredible efficiency. A loss of a 1-2 percent of efficiency? No problem, just pour in more gas. Not an option on a TT/race bike, where the rider is pushing the envelope.

3) Also efficiency, I believe. Run-flats are not as supple and efficient as normal tires (they have differently designed sidewalls). But for utility and commuter bikes, this obviously could be quite useful.

4) Never used power cranks; write to the maker and suggest it!
Quote Reply
Re: bikes & electronics [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never used either, but from what I've read, Mavic had been selling an updated version of their electronic shifting system (Mektronic) until recently. Interesting discussion of it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're missing out on the beautiful simplicity of bicycles. I love innovation, carbon, aero-ness, weight weenies, and all advances in bicycling. i'm also a campy-phile, but the campy group makes me say, "why?".

they reduce the weight in all the parts to offset the weight of the battery. OK, well, then why not sell this new lighter weight group in a non-elec format? wouldn't that be even better?

I'm glad I don't have to recharge my bike.

I'm glad that I don't have to worry about the battery running out on a long ride.

I'm glad that I don't have to worry about the memory life of the bike's battery.

the additional complexity and points of failure from an electronic system seem like a crazy thing to add to the mechanical simplicity we currently enjoy. electricity has it's place, but I don't see the benefit on a bike.
Quote Reply