Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Too aggresive and too forward?
Quote | Reply
In working with triathletes on bike fit and body position two things that have occurred to me as an "error of the language" or mistaken vernacular are the oft-used terms "aggressive position" and "forward seat position" or some version of them. For the purposes of clarity, I think we need to chnge our vernacular when referrring to triathlon bike positions. Here's why:

The terminology "aggressive position" is frequently used to describe a position when a rider is seated at a relative seat tube angle of, let's say arbitrarily, 76 degrees or steeper. The terminology "aggressive" frequently used to describe this rider position (i.e. "I ride in an 'aggressive' 80 degree seat angle position") has the conotation of this position being acheivable only to elite athletes, riders willing to forego comfort in lieu of performance and aerodynamics and a genrally "too racy" position for most people.

That's a mistake of the language. I think we should change the terminology to call an "aggressive" position a "relaxed" position, with the attendant conotation that the position is closer to the prone position with a more relaxed (open) angle between the femur and the torso at the top of the pedal stroke. "Relaxed" is a better way to refer to this (other than the confusion it would create for a while since in the past we have used it to describe the opposite effect)since this position is actually easier to pedal in, easier to sit in the aero bars in and more comfortable when set up correctly.

Another misnomer that fries my potatoes is saying that triathletes "sit farther forward" in the aero position. They don't unless they are positioned wrong, as with a road bike with a forward bending seatpost (bad idea IMHO) and aerobars. A well designed triathlon position that facilitates the aero posture on aero bars means the feet are farther back relative to the similar configuration on a road (73-75+/- seat tube angle). The seat isn't farther forward, the feet are farther back (hence the necessity for 650c, 26" wheels on some bikes, another source of immense confusion and misplaced controversy). This also reflects the UCI's ruling on the restriction of front-center measurements. Some commercially available triathlon bikes from popular manufacturers exceed the UCI standard for maximum front center, thus supporting the perspective that a triathlete (in some instances) does not "sit farther forward" but rather has their feet "farther back" (closer to the rear hub).

Make sense? See why I have no life? I spend my nights wondering about things like this.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Too aggresive and too forward? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought by the title, that this was going to be another relationship thread!

I agree totally with your clarification. I tend to be somewhat of a literalist, and pointing out that it's really the bottom bracket that is moved rearward, rather than the rider moving forward, is spot-on. Also, the connotation of being in an "agressive" position is a term that pricks the mindset of some of the testosterone-inflicted people...thinking that if they aren't "agressively" positioned, that they must be in a "wimpy" position. Of course, you can froth at the mouth with aggression whether on an 81 degree seat tubed bike or a 73 degree seat tubed bike.

I like Standard and Open as terms to describe the two positions. Of course, it refers to the femur/spine relationship (ah, that R word again), otherwise called the hip angle.

I, too, get a bit twisted out of shape when I'm forced to use terminology that seems incorrect. People that are bothered by little things like this have to be careful not to die a little every day, as we cringe at the phrases that hit our ear and sound out of tune.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thread. Why not just call them roadie and tri-geek positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Too aggresive and too forward? [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the terminology "open" to describe a steep angle position and "standard" to describe what we normally refer to as a road position.

Can I put you in charge of contacting all the triathletes and cyclists around the world so they can all be aware of this revision in the common usage? Think you could have that taken care of by this afternoon? :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no expert, but how about using the term "steep" to describe a steep seat angle and "shallow" to describe a shallow seat angle. Seems odd, but it could catch on.

I think of aggressive as meaning a position that is low in front i.e. low bar position. On the other hand, maybe we should describe that as a "low" position.
Quote Reply
Re: Too aggresive and too forward? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. That'll never catch on.
Quote Reply
Re: Too aggresive and too forward? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, change that, I think it should be exclusively: "Relative Perpendicular Centrifugal Mid-Polar Orientation" for steep angle bikes and then "Mitigated Sub-Perpendicular Post Bottom Bracketular Subjugated Femoral Aspect Relative Orientation" for relaxed angles. That's pretty simple.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply