Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any suggestions/help on getting bikes to IMFL?
Quote | Reply
I've put this off long enough - I'm hoping to get some points of view on the best way to get 2 bikes from the San Diego area to Panama City for IM Florida at the end of next week. I have a bike box, and could take them on the plane, but we switch planes twice and I'm a little worried they'll get delayed/misplaced in the shuffle.

Anybody have thoughts on other bike shipping options (private companies, usps, etc), or whether you think we'll be okay taking them with us on the plane? We fly out on Wednesday morning, and need to have them there AT THE LATEST on friday for bike check in, but ideally earlier or with us Wednesday night, of course.

This is my first time not driving to a race, so any and all tips are greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
Last edited by: pennylongdog: Oct 27, 03 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: Any suggestions/help on getting bikes to IMFL? [pennylongdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also heading to Florida which will be the first race I haven't driven to. I looked at different options and have decided to take my chances and fly with my bike (I only have one transfer).

With two bikes, I think flying will be your best option. UPS won't ship any case large enough to hold two bikes. You could ship each seperately to the host hotel (they charge a $10 or $15 handling fee) but that will cost you some serious clams. I don't know about other companies that might be willing to ship both bikes in one case, but if you find one it will also be expensive.

I am flying in Wednesday also. I figure if the bike doesn't make it to the airport that night (I am knocking on wood-like veneer hard enough to make my knuckles bleed) that gives me two days to raise some serious hell with the airlines. I've heard that flying into Panama City with bikes is more difficult. I am flying into Pensacola and renting a car to drive to Panama City. There may be some unavoidable delays in getting your bike if you are flying into Panama City.

Hope that helped.

Chris
Quote Reply