Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running shoes for under-pronators
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have any recommendations for a stability shoe for under-pronators? All the stability shoes I know of are designed to keep people from over-pronating. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: running shoes for under-pronators [TriGuyNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much any shoe that fits will be fine. Try to find those which are lightweight and have superior forefoot cushioning. In oppostion to over-pronators, under-pronators (aka supinators) are in less danger of stress injuries from any old shoe, as long as you've got some cushion under the landing area. That is, of course, barring severe supinators. Do the old "out of the shower, stand on a piece of colored paper" test. If you only see the outer portion of the ball of your foot imprinted on the paper (along with a couple toes, the outer edge of your foot, and your heal), then you're at risk for injury and should see a podiatrist about special orthotics. If you see heal, outer edge, ball, and 5 toes, feel happy that you have feet which will cause less strain on themselves and your knees than those of the mild-pronator.
The one real problem you should have with shoes is running out of them, i.e. durability. Pretty much no running shoe is designed to land on the outer edge of the sole, so they get pummeled into submission more quickly. I ran down to the plastic arch-piece and there were visible compression creases on the outside edge of a pair of shoes I had, while the inside edge looked as if it could've gone another few hundred miles. Don't do it. Those are worn out. Buy new ones. Your feet, knees, and hips are more expensive to replace and the replacement parts are not as good as the originals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does anybody have any recommendations for a stability shoe for under-pronators? All the stability shoes I know of are designed to keep people from over-pronating. Thanks.

"Stability shoe for under-pronators" is an oxymoron. A stability shoe is meant to keep you from pronating too far; if you underpronate (like me and you) it can keep you from pronating at all. Been there, suffered that. Plantar fasciitis; chondromalacia; stress fracture. Had them all because I ran with all my weight on the outside edge of my foot.

A good PT, a pair of orthotics and some better awareness of what the foot is supposed to do cured my foot problems.

The "cushioned trainer" shoe category is usually best for the underpronator. Lots of good choices out there that are best selected at a good shoe store staffed by actual runners. It is well worth paying full price for a couple of pairs at a small boutique shop until you find the right shoe. To find a good shop in your area, post a message at www.letsrun.com. If you're in NYC, there are quite a few great running stores, I am sure.

Note that the right shoe won't make you pronate properly; it will merely allow you to pronate properly. You might still need some coaching or orthotics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stability normally means pronation control but there are some nuetral (supinator friendly) shoes that are stable in the respect that they will help suppress excess movement in either the rolling in or out direction. Look for shoes with a wider base, less arch cutaway and if you are on the heavier side a firmer, or higher durometer foam midsole. If you have high arches check out the

Asics Nimbus: nice firm durable SpEva foam but a tad stiff for many
Saucony shadow: a definite winner with narrow firm heel and wide forfoot although the ride might feel funny walking in it but running is great
New Balance 880: lots of volume so not good for narrow or smaller feet but nice and nuetral with a fair amount of stability
Saucony Triumph: tons of cushion and pretty stable too

For flatter feet...

New Balance 1122: for the big boy this is a motion control shoe in the typical overpronation sense but has a firm enough lateral side to work for supinators too
Brooks Dyad!!!!: probably the only purely nuetral shoe made for the oxymoronic flat footed supinator. Tons of cushioning and works well for high arches if you add an insert. This shoe rocks but feels a little funky at first if you are not used to the wide and flat heel.

Some shoes to avoid:

Asics 2080-2090: love these shoes but way to soft on the lateral side with Asics IGS system for supinators
Nike Structure: same as the Asics but a tad bit less of a softness problem

Well good luck
Quote Reply
Re: running shoes for under-pronators [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the suggestions. i've tried "cushioned" shoes, but they only exacerbate my problem. i think my foot arch is fine, but my lower legs are slightly bowed, which causes me to naturally run on the outside edges. all my shoes, running and others, wear out on the outside edges. i've done OK in "stability" shoes, but i know i could stand to pronate better. i guess a trip to the podiatrist to get professionally evaluated can't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you've tried cushioned shoes and they didn't work i think you best bet hands down would be the Brooks Dyad. It's a nice wide stable cushioned shoe that will do a great job of controlling supination (or just coping with it as controlling it is near impossible and probably not a good idea anyways). There's really nothing else like the Dyad on the market, mainly because there really isn't much of a market for this type of shoe, except for you. It also fits orthotics just great although it's rare to find an orthotic over the counter or custom which will help a severe supinator. Watch out too as many "cast" orthotics probably will only support the medial arch and not the lateral arch possibly making the problem worse. The deep heel cup on an orthotic should help though. Good luck.
Quote Reply