Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not?
Quote | Reply
STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not?

I am aware of the whole aerodynamic advantage of shifting wihout breaking your TT position, and all that jazz. My question goes with the triathlon scenario of careening down a hill at 40+, keeping your hands on your brakes and wanting to shift for whatever reason (more speed, an uphill around the next corner, etc) . I know I have seen a picture or two of bikes configured like this...

Not planning to do this (not yet, anyways...) but I am curious as to why it's a no-no...
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [don jc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi don jc,

You are absolutely right Sir, it is a big no-no to put STi shifters on flat, cow-horn style base bars be they one piece aerobars such as the awesome new Visiontech or Profile Carbon X. This is why: STi (and other brake levers specifically designed for drop bars) are intended to be used on curved handlebars- the brake lever itself is shaped to follow that curve, putting the lever in closer proximity to the handlebar as it curves back toward the rider. If you install this type of lever on a base bar with no curvature (i.e., Syntace Stratos, Carbon X, Vision Tech, etc.) the distance between the brake lever and the handlebar is not sufficient to allow enough lever travel for good braking. Maybe you can adjust it so the brakes work, but there is zero margin for error. If the cable slips in the clamp even slightly the brake lever bottoms out against the base bar and the brakes can't be fully actuated. Very dangerous. Although you do occasionally see this on bikes, it isn't a good idea as you mentioned.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [don jc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No reason why not. I've noticed a number of the TDF TT guys doing it this way. It should depend on the course. If flat and you're on the aero bars most of the time then put the shifters at the end of the aero bars. If the course is hilly it would make lots of sense to go to STI.
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it is a big no-no to put STi shifters on flat, cow-horn style base bars "

OK Tom, you're right but I was thinking of the the drop angled one piece bars like the ones you see on the TT bikes, not the the flat bars the triathletes usually use with the steeper seat angles. He mentioned Vision Tech and many of their bars are drop angled and not flat. A lot of the TT'ers will race with STI on hillier courses. In fact, John Cobb critisized the Bianchi TT team at this years TDF for not using STI on one of the hillier TT stages.
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Deda AeroBlue TT bars; they accommodate STI shifters very well, so will the Cinelli Angel and 3TTT aerobars. I typically shift when my hands are on the brakes, especially the rear derailleur. That is why for next season I plan to have a STI shifter for the rear derailleur and a bar-end shifter for the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any way to rig up duel shifters (an STI and a bar-end shifter operating the same derailleur)?

Along this line, is there any new word on the electronic shifting unit Campy is putting together? This would allow shifting ability at both positions.
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [cottell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Is there any way to rig up duel shifters (an STI and a bar-end shifter operating the same derailleur)?"

Yes. Profile makes a device. No first hand experience as to how well it works however.

http://http://www.profile-design.com/brakes_adapter.html
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [cottell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a down tube boss for this modification. This might not be the case as the design could have changed, but the last time I saw such a unit (the Profile one, as I think it is the only one), it needed a down tube boss to make it work. You can always get a downtube boss kit from Nova Cycles to make the modification you wish.

I would only do the STI lever on a turned up cowhorn, such as an ITM Dual or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: STI on a one-piece aerobar, ie. VisionTech. Why not? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used the Profile, either, but as I understand it you pretty much have to pick one way or the other to shift. That is to say, if you shift down with the bar-end, you have to shift back up with the bar-end. If you were to shift back up with the Ergo/STI lever it would throw everything off. If this is true, then the device would not provide much of a benefit and it would explain why it never caught on.
Quote Reply