Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling & Cornea Transplants
Quote | Reply
Hello all,
I have a degenerative cornea disease called Keratoconus, which causes a cone shaped and thinning of the cornea. I have just had my first of 2 cornea transplants (they wait 4-12 months before doing the second eye) a few weeks ago and am slowly easing back into athletics.

I am interested in purchasing a strong and reliable pair of sunglasses/goggles with quality lenses that can keep out dirt and debris, and offer substantial protection to my precious eyes.

Rudy Project sells an "S.G.V. Kit" for their Ekynox model sunglass. It consists of an attachable foam seal around the eyewear similar to ski or swim goggles, and an elastic band that holds the sunglasses more securely to your face.
Does anyone have any opinions/experiences with the S.G.V. Ekynox, or the Ekynox by itself?
Thank you to all those who contribute to this site. It is very helpful.
Tim (New York City)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling & Cornea Transplants [Tim O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C'mon fellow athletes. anyone have even anything to say about the Ekynox glasses? Even just a word?
Let's leave Lance's love life alone and lend me a hand, please?
Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tim

Sorry to hear about the K-conus. Sounds like the grafts are doing well. Hope you are seeing well, and the grafts are successful.

The ekynox is a super pair of glasses, I have a pair myself. The only thing I would say, is you may be prone to getting some dry eye, which could irritate your eye, cornea slightly ( I'm assuming you have had the sutures removed). The ekynox has a nosepiece that is adjustable but causes the frame to sit slightly in front of the face . You get some air flow between the frame and your nose. This airflow sort of runs between the frame and your eyes. I love the specs but do experience a little dry eye, reddness, and scratchy, foreign body feeling after some lengthy rides. Using a bunch of artificial tears afterwards does the trick. This may not be an issue for you, but you may think about a frame that sits flush with the bridge of yoiur nose, the Briko Lucifer is one of my favorites. Th Rudy kit that you mentioned would be a good alternative,m especially for winter. I could see those getting a bit wrom in the summer though. GooD luck

C Johnston, O.D.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling & Cornea Transplants [schumacher 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C. Johnston,
It's nice to hear from an Optometrist who does triathlons!! Thanks for your advice.

The first graft is doing well, only 6 weeks in, and I have not yet had any sutures removed. I am far from being back at peak training level, but have thoroughly enjoyed the 2 nice spins that I've taken in the last week.

The gap that you mention on the Ekynox was very important for me to know, so thank you very much. That is a major issue for me as I have a graft in one eye and 'piggy-back' in the other (one soft and one hard lense together, for all the non-optometrists out there.) So my eyes and the multiple lenses get dried out very easily. I called Rudy project and they said similar to what you said that they will probbaly get very hot in the summer, which makes sense and was the only question I never asked them before hearing form you. I curently have a pair of Oakley Half-jackets for every day wear (esp. due to the light sensitivity associated with KC) and after calling them I think I may just get a second lense for those. One not as dark for cloudy and evening cycling. I will also look into the Brikos though.
Last visit I was seeing 20/30 with the grafted eye. I hope things stay well. Thanks again for your help.
Best,
Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim,

Here's a desenting opinion on Ekynox.

I got a pro pair handed to me last year. My main complaints with them are lack of air and sweat flow. They sit very close to your face, so if you have big bushy eye brows like me then the sweat rolls right down to the lenses and nosepiece then pools at the bottom of the lense. During hot weather I find them useless after about an hour as they are covered with sweat. During a tri unless I want to view the world through sweat smeared lenses they are usually useless by the run portion of the race.

99% of the time I reach for my M-frames instead.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the Oakley half-jackets the Rose colored lenses work great for evening and early morning use. I also have the clear lenses for riding when it is too dark out for sunglasses but I still prefer to wear something for the protection. I think the lenses are about $30 a set.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling & Cornea Transplants [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, I have heard that about the Ekynox before, that they ride very close to the face.
Shad, you took the words out of my actions. Just 2 days ago, I ordered 2 extra lense sfor my half-jackets, clear for night and the VR28 (like a light bronze) for cloudy days. I curently have the Titanium Iridium which I love.

You know, the half-jackets w/ the titanium iridium have been perfect for my training, I just figured after having a cornea transplant I should have more protection, and thus got interested in the Ekynox with S.G.V. conversion kit. Now my thinking though is that I should stick with what works. The half-jackets do a great job at wrapping to my face and keeping out dirt. I do re-wet the contact lense often as air flows in, but I think that will happen on any glasses. My larger concern was if I fall I want to protect my eyes, byt having a foam padding to keep out air (suh as on the S.G.V.) will not do that.
Thanks fellas for the help.
Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim,

I thought the SGV kit was for use in snow??? They have a water version now to though, so maybe it's changed a bit.

Water version isn't a swim google as much as a shield for jet-skis etc

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling & Cornea Transplants [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been out of the internet loop for a few days. Long story.
What they told me at Rudy was that there is a snow goggle (skiing/boarding etc...), a swim goggle (not for swimming but other water sports like you mention), and the S.G.V. kit for motorcycling (was the example they gave me.) They said it would work fine for cycling except that you may overhear very quick.
Take care,
Tim
Quote Reply