Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

chain rings for IMOZ?
Quote | Reply
there was a thread about chainrings a few days ago but i couldn't find it again. started training long with my P2K last Saturday on a course that i'm presuming to be similar to IMOZ (i'm entered for next year). currently have 53/39 rings set-up with a 23-11 casette. i was going for a 30kph (19-20mph) pace throughout which i could do with the 53x21 on the flats and through short 50-100m hills. but on longer hills i had to go down to the 39 and it was annoying trying to find the right gear on back--they seemed too light, forcing me to spin and thus making me uncomfortable in my tuck. so, i've pretty much figured out that i should probably switch the 39 for a 42. my question is is there any benefit to switching the 53 for something smaller? maybe a 52 or even a 50?

Kim
Quote Reply
Re: chain rings for IMOZ? [dockimpoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine with a 53T. Conservatively, 97% of the field would ride with a 53/39 chainring combination. And at least 95% of them would have a "standard" 12-23 9 speed cluster.

Whilst there are a couple of hills and undulations - the course isn't a tough one. It can, however, get windy heading back into town and the surface is somewhat "granular" in places.
Quote Reply
Re: chain rings for IMOZ? [Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wouldn't there be any benefit of using a 52 or smaller since the chain will be a little more in line? i read somewhere that this lessens friction? not too sure about this since i really don't understand the technicalities of gear ratios. i hope someone can enlighten me.

Kim
Quote Reply