Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what to upgrade on my new dual
Quote | Reply
Good morning all,

I am about to buy a 2003 Dual (yes it fits) and I was looking for opinions on what I should upgrade if anything? The 04 will be ultegra not 105 and I am wondering if I should upgrade to ultegra or is it worth it?

Thanks for the info
Quote Reply
Re: what to upgrade on my new dual [logan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't be any faster with Ultegra over 105, so personally I wouldn't bother. If you were going to upgrade a Dual to maximize it's potential the three things to do are

1) Wheels. Renn disc and a used Specialized tri spoke offer the most bang for the buck. Two other good used front wheels are Hed Jet 60 and Campagnolo Shamal.

2) One piece aero bar combo. Expensive, but according to the Vision Tech site will give about thirty seconds on a 40 kms over a cowhorn/clip-on combo.

3) Fork. I just don't like the Dual fork although I have no aero specs, but I'm sure an upgrade to the P2K/P3 fork would save some seconds.

Do these three things and you would have a very aero bike at a still decent price. The only thing missing from the higher end Cervelos is the rear wheel cut out and according to John Cobb's latest writings is now claiming that the rear wheel cut out isn't that important (but he does seem to change his mind quite a bit).
Quote Reply
Re: what to upgrade on my new dual [logan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I would upgrade, in priority order:

1) saddle. stick with what your butt likes. A chafed crotch is going to cost you a lot more time than anything you can add.

2) wheels. The best your budget will allow. I like the H3's, others prefer deep V spoked wheels.

3) A one piece aero bar, if you find one that you like. I used to have a Cinelli Angel, which I unfortunately could not move onto my new bike. The biggest advantage was that since everything is welded together, the bars cannot slip if you go over a bump.

Cheers,
J
Quote Reply
Re: what to upgrade on my new dual [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ever think you'll upgrade your brake calipers, let me know. I'd be interested in your 105/cervelo ones on the bike now.

c3gagnier@wmconnect.com
Quote Reply