Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling
Quote | Reply
I'm going to bite the bullet and get sunglasses with prescription lenses, or inserts as the case may be. Can anyone tell me what brands and models work best?
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rudy project probably makes the best kinds. they've got ones with clip-ons, ones where you replace the nose pads with an insert, and even one that flips up. not as expensive as oakleys. lifetime lens warranty.

Kim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got Oakley's that I really like, when it's sunny but next time I'm going to get something that I can change out the lenses to match the light conditions, probably Rudy Projects.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for lasik surgery. If you are going to bite any bullets, that's the one I would go for.

I did it a couple years ago and have been thrilled with the results.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Smith Moabs with prescription inserts. The prescription inserts add a lot of weight, and when in the aero position, glasses tended to slip down a lot. Therefore, I was either peering over the top of them or pushing them up. Also, with both eyes corrected for distant vision, I had a hard time reading my cyclocomputer. I have switched to monocular correction with a contact in my dominant eye for distant vision, and no contact in my other eye for reading. I just took the inserts off of my glasses, and I am much happier with the results. Also works out lots better on the swim--I ditched my prescription gogles, too. Next step may be LASIK.
Last edited by: tri_bri2: Oct 24, 03 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend the Oakley Mframe through your Dr. They aren't cheap, but will provide great results in a wonderful lense. Check your employers pre-tax medical deduction options, or the vision plan. Sometimes this can be covered in that manner. Have two lenses made. A darker smoke lense for sunny days, and a yellow or persimmon lense for cloudy/rainy days. You won't need another pair of sunglasses for years.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest that you find any double lens frame that you like and have prescription lenses made for them. the ones I have on here are frames by Sergio Taccini and custom lenses by a local vision center. Also, the person who I purchase my glasses from is a cyclist and moved the "optic point" of the lenses higher in the frames so I get the best vision possible from a cycling style position (looking out the top of the glasses -vs- straight on like you would when driving. (yeah, I know...I look fat in that photo)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A number of vendors (Performance/Nashbar etc) were closing out the Bolle Parole/Vigilante glasses with a prescription adapter. I bought two pair and two adapters and had their in-house service fill the script. Very reasonable price.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with those is that they tend to be quite heavy and then offer 4 surfaces to get dirty. I had the Bolle Micro Edge - and though at the time I thought they were great - when I got the custom glasses made I was then knew I had found a much better option (for about the same dollars)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried several brands and decided on the Rudy Project Golf. The other brands attach an insert to the inside of the regular sunglasses. The problem for me was that the insert was too close to my eyes and touched my eyelids. The Rudys seem to be made around the insert so the fit is much better. It's been great being able to read my watch and heart monitor again.
Quote Reply
Re: Prescription Sunglasses for Cycling [grumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oakley, hands down. Before I switched to contacts, I lived by their perscription M-Frames. Even after switching to contacts, I still live by their M-Frames. But one thing is for sure, their stuff works.
Quote Reply