Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New IM Stage Race
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun. What do you guys think?

I thought I would give you great people a preview of a race that will be happening next year. The Portland Marathon, which has been held for 30 years, has consistently been ranked as one of the top marathons in the United States. This year we had over 8,000 participants and it was a great event. In conjunction with the Marathon there is a family of events: a 5 mile race, a marathon walk, the mayor's walk, and a kids run. I have been kicking around an idea for years and have been brought on board to make it happen: an ironman stage race. The 2.4 mile swim would be held on Friday afternoon. The order that the swimmers come out of the water would determine their starting position for the 112 mile bike. The bike will be held on Saturday morning and it will be a TT format with cyclists leaving every 15 or 30 seconds. On Sunday, competitors will run the Portland Marathon. Times for each stage will be added together to determine a final time and placing. That's the gist of it for now. Any feed back is welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM Stage Race [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a great idea. I love the idea of having fun with the IM distance in different ways. It would be great preparation for an IM, plus some people who might otherwise not do an IM could see what it's like.

Another format I would like to see is a two man IM, where you have to do the whole race with a partner. You can't start or finish any of the three without your teammate. Something I would like to take part in.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: New IM Stage Race [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race sounds like a great idea for those trying to make the jump to the Ironman distance.

Considering that Friday's race will be a pure swim wetsuits really shouldn't be allowed unless the water conditions make it absolutely necessary (water under 68). It's only my opinion, but too many athletes are simply using their wetsuits to float through the swim and never learn to swim. This is a distortion of what our sport is supposed to be all about; it's swim-bike-run, not float-bike-run.

I may be interested in participating. What are the dates going to be? Is there somewhere to go for information yet?

Good luck with the planning!
Quote Reply
Re: New IM Stage Race [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should clarify. I'm not the organizer. I just copied the info from another forum. I think the race is in Oct...whenever the Portland Marathon weekend is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For thosee non-swimmers who can somehow "float" through a few-thousand meters of open-water swimming, I say more power to 'em!

You're faster in a wetsuit, too, so no skin off your back, right? Just go out and wax those damn floaters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like it's Oct. 3, 2004. Here's the site but it doesn't mention the stage race yet:

http://www.portlandmarathon.org/

I'd be interested in doing a 3 day event, especially in Kona, as there's no way I would qualify for Hawaii in the near future.

Richard
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Oct 26, 03 15:02
Quote Reply